The Convergence Process in the EU Estimated by Gini Coefficients
AbstractAt present, there is not an unique indicator to evaluate the converge process. Varying with the assumptions and methodologies considered, with the indicators used and with the periods analysed, the results of the studies on convergence in the European Union are often ambiguous. Some of them support the existence of convergence, others conclude that a convergence process is not yet demonstrated and some authors point out that there is a divergence process. Using the Lorenz curve model and estimating on its basis Gini coefficients for the last decade we demonstrated in this study a significant convergence process in the EU, despite the negative impact of the actual crisis. However, the differences in matter of convergence emerge at the level groups of countries. Thus, while in EU-10 (recently joined countries to the EU) a strong convergence is visible, in EU-15 (old members of EU) a significant trend of divergence was demonstrated.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Institute for Economic Forecasting in its journal Romanian Journal for Economic Forecasting.
Volume (Year): (2012)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Casa Academiei, Calea 13, Septembrie nr.13, sector 5, Bucureşti 761172
Phone: 004 021 3188148
Fax: 004 021 3188148
Web page: http://www.ipe.ro/
More information through EDIRC
convergence; Gini coefficient; Lorenz curve; divergence; the European Union;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C8 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Data Collection and Data Estimation Methodology; Computer Programs
- E20 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - General (includes Measurement and Data)
- F02 - International Economics - - General - - - International Economic Order; Noneconomic International Organizations;; Economic Integration and Globalization: General
- O11 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Macroeconomic Analyses of Economic Development
- O47 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - Measurement of Economic Growth; Aggregate Productivity; Cross-Country Output Convergence
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Iancu Aurel, 2006.
"Problema convergenţei economice,"
Romanian Society for Economic Science, Revista OEconomica, issue 04, December.
- Gastwirth, Joseph L, 1972. "The Estimation of the Lorenz Curve and Gini Index," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 54(3), pages 306-16, August.
- Quah, Danny T., 1996. "Empirics for economic growth and convergence," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 40(6), pages 1353-1375, June.
- Iancu, Aurel, 2009.
"Real Convergence and Integration,"
Working Papers of National Institute of Economic Research
090102, National Institute of Economic Research.
- Iancu, Aurel, 2008. "Real Convergence and Integration," Journal for Economic Forecasting, Institute for Economic Forecasting, vol. 5(1), pages 27-40, March.
- Aurel IANCU, 2008. "Real convergence and integration," Review of Economic and Business Studies, Alexandru Ioan Cuza University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, vol. 1, pages 15-28, December.
- Iancu, Aurel, 2010. "Transition, Integration And Convergence - The Case Of Romania -," Working Papers of National Institute of Economic Research 101222, National Institute of Economic Research.
- Lucian-Liviu ALBU, 2012. "Trends In Income Distribution," Romanian Journal of Economics, Institute of National Economy, vol. 35(2(44)), pages 33-44, December.
- Lucian-Liviu Albu, 2012. "Structural Convergence in European Union," Annals - Economy Series, Constantin Brancusi University, Faculty of Economics, vol. 4, pages 1-10, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Corina Saman).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.