Income Polarization In Romania
AbstractThis article presents the results of a study devoted to the measurement of the income polarization in Romania. In the first part the key methodological issues of measuring polarization are addressed, with emphasis on the polarization indices. To measure the polarization of the household incomes in Romania, which is the subject of the second part of the study, several indices of bipolarization (Foster-Wolfson, Wang-Tsui, Milanovi, Esteban-Ray and Esteban-Gradin-Ray indices) and group polarization (Esteban-Ray and Gradin indices) have been used. All indicators show a higher degree of polarization in 2008 as compared with 1995 and 2000.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Institute for Economic Forecasting in its journal Romanian Journal for Economic Forecasting.
Volume (Year): (2011)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Casa Academiei, Calea 13, Septembrie nr.13, sector 5, Bucureşti 761172
Phone: 004 021 3188148
Fax: 004 021 3188148
Web page: http://www.ipe.ro/
More information through EDIRC
bipolarization; group polarization; income redistribution; disposable income;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D31 - Microeconomics - - Distribution - - - Personal Income and Wealth Distribution
- D63 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Equity, Justice, Inequality, and Other Normative Criteria and Measurement
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stefananescu, Stefan, 2008. "Measuring the Socio-Economic Bipolarization Phenomenon," Journal for Economic Forecasting, Institute for Economic Forecasting, vol. 5(1), pages 149-161, March.
- Wang, You-Qiang & Tsui, Kai-Yuen, 2000. " Polarization Orderings and New Classes of Polarization Indices," Journal of Public Economic Theory, Association for Public Economic Theory, vol. 2(3), pages 349-63.
- Esteban, Joan & Ray, Debraj, 1994.
"On the Measurement of Polarization,"
Econometric Society, vol. 62(4), pages 819-51, July.
- Esteban, J.M. & Ray, D., 1992. "On the Measurement of Polarization," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 171.92, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Joan-Maria Esteban & Debraj Ray, 1991. "On the Measurement of Polarization," Boston University - Institute for Economic Development 18, Boston University, Institute for Economic Development.
- Esteban, J. & Ray, D., 1993. "On the Measurement of Polarization," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 221.93, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Jean-Yves Duclos & Joan Esteban & Debraj Ray, 2003.
"Polarization: Concepts, Measurement, Estimation,"
46, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Flaviu Mihaescu & Liviu Voinea, 2009. "The Impact of the Flat Tax Reform on Inequality: The Case of Romania," The wiiw Balkan Observatory Working Papers 081, The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies, wiiw.
- Easterly, William, 2001.
" The Middle Class Consensus and Economic Development,"
Journal of Economic Growth,
Springer, vol. 6(4), pages 317-35, December.
- Easterly, William, 2000. "the middle class consensus and economic development," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2346, The World Bank.
- Voinea, Liviu & Mihaescu, Flaviu, 2009. "The Impact of the Flat Tax Reform on Inequality - the case of Romania," Journal for Economic Forecasting, Institute for Economic Forecasting, vol. 0(4), pages 19-41, December.
- Molnar, Maria, 2010. "Income distribution in Romania," MPRA Paper 30062, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Joan Esteban & Carlos Gradín & Debraj Ray, 2007. "An Extension of a Measure of Polarization, with an application to the income distribution of five OECD countries," Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer, vol. 5(1), pages 1-19, April.
- James Foster & Michael Wolfson, 2010. "Polarization and the decline of the middle class: Canada and the U.S," Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer, vol. 8(2), pages 247-273, June.
- Brad, Anca Maria, 2012. "The impact of tax policy on the welfare state," MPRA Paper 40347, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Corina Saman).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.