Migration in the Context of Current Economic and Financial Crisis - Comparative Analysis
AbstractThe crisis of the global financial markets that struck the world economy in the mid 2008 affected the world economy as a whole; nevertheless, it also had a great impact upon the labour force market in the European countries. The migration dropped, differentiated by certain geographic areas. This work proposes an analysis of the migration phenomenon under the economic and financial crisis impact in certain countries of the European Union over the period 2007-2010. Recession in Europe has also determined a drop in remittance flows in 2009. The work presents a short description of the remittance flow evolution in some European countries and some empirical methods for assessing the crisis impact upon remittances. The impact of the crisis upon the migration phenomenon in some Central and Eastern European countries is also analyzed in the paper.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Institute for Economic Forecasting in its journal Romanian Journal for Economic Forecasting.
Volume (Year): (2010)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Casa Academiei, Calea 13, Septembrie nr.13, sector 5, Bucureşti 761172
Phone: 004 021 3188148
Fax: 004 021 3188148
Web page: http://www.ipe.ro/
More information through EDIRC
migration; emigrants; immigrants; remittances; crisis;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C2 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables
- C51 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Construction and Estimation
- J21 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Labor Force and Employment, Size, and Structure
- O15 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Economic Development: Human Resources; Human Development; Income Distribution; Migration
- R23 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Household Analysis - - - Regional Migration; Regional Labor Markets; Population
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dilip Ratha & Sanket Mohapatra & Ani Silwal, 2010. "Outlook for Remittance Flows 2010-11 : Remittance Flows to Developing Countries Remained Resilient in 2009, Expected to Recover During 2010-11," World Bank Other Operational Studies 10931, The World Bank.
- Sanket Mohapatra & Dilip Ratha, 2010.
"Impact of the Global Financial Crisis on Migration and Remittances,"
World Bank Other Operational Studies
10210, The World Bank.
- Mohapatra, Sanket & Ratha, Dilip, 2010. "Impact of the Global Financial Crisis on Migration and Remittances," World Bank - Economic Premise, The World Bank, issue 2, pages 1-8, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Corina Saman).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.