New Findings on Actual and Potential Trade between Romania and the Russian Federation: A Gravity Approach
AbstractThe paper attempts to verify the hypothesis that Romanian exports to the Russian Federation are below their potential. We first looked at statistical data regarding bilateral trade, custom duties and foreign direct investment; the resulting conclusions support our hypothesis. Further, we use a gravity equation, in order to forecast Romanian exports to a number of 43 countries, accounting for a sizeable share of total exports, covering a world-wide area using data series over a period of time between 1993 and 2008. Based on the gravity equation, we calculated export potential of Romania to the Russian Federation, being interested in the long run trade dynamics potential. We made the comparison between potential and real trade for the year 2008, being in fact interested in what export would have been in 2008 if during all the period studied (1993-2007) trade would have followed the gravity patterns. We conclude that if the Romanian exports to the Russian Federation would have perfectly fitted the general “gravity pattern”, the level of exports to the country would stand at 2,317 current billion dollars, which is 2.58 times higher than the registered level. From an economic point of view, these results can be interpreted, in the context of our broader analysis, as a good indicator that the opportunities in the Russian Federation market are still undervaluated by Romanian exporters and the rest of stakeholders in the exportation process.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Institute for Economic Forecasting in its journal Romanian Journal for Economic Forecasting.
Volume (Year): (2010)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Casa Academiei, Calea 13, Septembrie nr.13, sector 5, Bucureşti 761172
Phone: 004 021 3188148
Fax: 004 021 3188148
Web page: http://www.ipe.ro/
More information through EDIRC
Romanian exports; potential exports; the Russian Federation; gravity model; trade development;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F10 - International Economics - - Trade - - - General
- F17 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade Forecasting and Simulation
- F11 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Neoclassical Models of Trade
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Vladimir Kontorovich, 2005. "Russia in the 21st Century: The Prodigal Superpower," Comparative Economic Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 47(4), pages 707-709, December.
- Gros, Daniel & Gonciarz, Andrzej, 1996. "A note on the trade potential of Central and Eastern Europe," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 12(4), pages 709-721, December.
- repec:wii:bpaper:bowp:011 is not listed on IDEAS
- Juan Ruiz & Josep M. Vilarrubia, 2007. "The wise use of dummies in gravity models: export potentials in the Euromed region," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers 0720, Banco de Espa�a.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Corina Saman).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.