Financing Auction Bids
AbstractIn many auctions, bidders do not have enough cash to pay their bid. If bidders have asymmetric cash positions and independent private values, then auctions will be inefficient. However, what happens if bidders have access to financial markets? We characterize efficient auctions and show that in an efficient auction the information rent that a bidder earns depends generally on both his valuation and his cash position. In contrast, a competitive capital market that is efficient must have information rents that depend only on valuation. This tension between information rents in an efficient auction and zero profits in a competitive equilibrium implies that most often, competitive financing is not efficient.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by The RAND Corporation in its journal RAND Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 36 (2005)
Issue (Month): 4 (Winter)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.rje.org
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Byoung Heon Jun & Elmar G. Wolfstetter, 2013.
"Security Bid Auctions for Agency Contracts,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
4554, CESifo Group Munich.
- Byoung Heon Jun & Elmar G. Wolfstetter, 2013. "Security bid auctions for agency contracts," Discussion Paper Series 1303, Institute of Economic Research, Korea University.
- Jun, Byoung Heon & Wolfstetter, Elmar G., 2012. "Security bid auctions for agency contracts," Discussion Paper Series of SFB/TR 15 Governance and the Efficiency of Economic Systems 371, Free University of Berlin, Humboldt University of Berlin, University of Bonn, University of Mannheim, University of Munich.
- Matthew Ryan & FlÃ¡vio Menezes, 2013. "Default and Renegotiation in PPP Auctions," Discussion Papers Series 484, School of Economics, University of Queensland, Australia.
- Skrzypacz, Andrzej, 2013. "Auctions with contingent payments — An overview," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 31(5), pages 666-675.
- Clarence Bush, 2010. "Increasing Diversity in Telecommunications Ownership and Increasing Efficiency in Spectrum Auctions by Breaking the Link Between Capital Market Discrimination and FCC Spectrum Auction Outcomes," The Review of Black Political Economy, Springer, vol. 37(2), pages 131-152, June.
- Alexander S. Gorbenko & Andrey Malenko, 2011. "Competition among Sellers in Securities Auctions," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 101(5), pages 1806-41, August.
- Zheng, Charles Zhoucheng, 2010. "Debt- Versus Equity-Financing in Auction Designs," Staff General Research Papers 31517, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Ottorino Chillemi & Claudio Mezzetti, 2014. "Optimal procurement mechanisms: bidding on price and damages for breach," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 55(2), pages 335-355, February.
- S. Viswanathan & S. Brusco & G. Lopomo, 2004.
Econometric Society 2004 North American Winter Meetings
317, Econometric Society.
- Sandro Brusco & Giuseppe Lopomo & S. Viswanathan, 2004. "Merger Mechanisms," Department of Economics Working Papers 04-02, Stony Brook University, Department of Economics.
- Sandro Brusco & Giuseppe Lopomo & S. Viswanathan, 2004. "Merger Mechanisms," Working Papers 2004.7, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Sandro Brusco & Giuseppe Lopomo & S Viswanathan, 2004. "Merger Mechanisms," Levine's Bibliography 122247000000000379, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Liu, Tingjun & Parlour, Christine A., 2009. "Hedging and competition," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 94(3), pages 492-507, December.
- Beker, Pablo & Hernando-Veciana, Angel, 2013. "Bidding Markets with Financial Constraints," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 1017, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- De Frutos, María Ángeles & Espinosa Alejos, María Paz, 2012. "Resale in Auctions with Financial Constraints," DFAEII Working Papers 2012-03, University of the Basque Country - Department of Foundations of Economic Analysis II.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.