Competition Over Price and Service Rate When Demand is Stochastic: A Strategic Analysis
AbstractWe consider a two-stage game in which firms simultaneously select prices and capacities. Then, a random number of consumers attends the market and selects a firm to visit. Consumers know all prices and quantities but not the realization of aggregate demand. The probability of being served at any firm depends on its capacity and the mixed strategy chosen by consumers, which equalizes the utility of each firm's price-service pair. We show that there exists at most one equilibrium in which firms choose pure strategies, and characterize the "candidate" equilibrium. Consumers face a probability of being rationed, firms may have excess inventory, and the price remains above marginal cost. When there are sufficiently many firms, the candidate is shown to be an equilibrium.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by The RAND Corporation in its journal RAND Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 26 (1995)
Issue (Month): 1 (Spring)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.rje.org
Other versions of this item:
- Raymond Deneckere & James Peck, 1992. "Competition over Price and Service Rate when Demand is Stochastic: A Strategic Analysis," Discussion Papers, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science 990, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Michael Peters & Sergei Severinov, 1995.
"Competition Among Sellers who offer Auctions Instead of Prices,"
Working Papers, University of Toronto, Department of Economics
peters-95-02, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- Peters, Michael & Severinov, Sergei, 1997. "Competition among Sellers Who Offer Auctions Instead of Prices," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 75(1), pages 141-179, July.
- Pekka Ilmakunnas, 2002. "Strategic behavior in a service industry," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 23(2), pages 69-82.
- Pedro Gomis-Porqueras & Benoit Julien & Chengsi Wang, 2010.
"Pricing, Advertising, and Market Structure with Frictions,"
Discussion Papers, School of Economics, The University of New South Wales
2010-20, School of Economics, The University of New South Wales.
- Gomis-Porqueras, Pedro & Julien, Benoit & Wang, Chengsi, 2010. "Pricing, Advertising, and Market Structure with Frictions," MPRA Paper 25942, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Dennis W. Carlton, 1996. "A Critical Assessment of the Role of Imperfect Competition in Macroeconomics," NBER Working Papers 5782, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrew F. Daughety & Jennifer F. Reinganum, 2007. "Mass Torts and the Incentives for Suit, Settlement, and Trial," Vanderbilt University Department of Economics Working Papers, Vanderbilt University Department of Economics 0713, Vanderbilt University Department of Economics.
- Marvel, Howard P. & Wang, Hao, 2009. "Distribution contracts to support optimal inventory holdings under demand uncertainty," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 625-631, September.
- Michael Sattinger, 2002. "A Queuing Model of the Market for Access to Trading Partners," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 43(2), pages 533-548, May.
- Edner Bataille & Benoit Julien, 2005. "Advertising, Pricing & Market Structure in Competitive Matching Markets," Industrial Organization, EconWPA 0511008, EconWPA.
- Mei Xue & Patrick T. Harker, 2003. "Service Co-Production, Customer Efficiency and Market Competition," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania 03-03, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Stole, Lars A., 2007. "Price Discrimination and Competition," Handbook of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, Elsevier.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.