Imperfect Information and Dynamic Conjectural Variations
AbstractThis article analyzes oligopoly interaction in an environment where firms are imperfectly informed about the evolution of the market demand curve. The analysis develops a two-period Cournot framework under the assumptions that demand shifts are positively serially correlated, that firms never directly observe the demand curve, and that firms never observe the previous quantity decisions of rivals. Firms do draw inferences about the position of the demand curve from past observations on prices. Consequently, the current output of a firm will influence the current market price, which will then influence rivals' inferences about future demand. The future output decisions of rivals will respond accordingly. The theory predicts negative dynamic conjectural variations. Essentially, a firm perceives that an increase in its output will lower the current market-clearing price, which will cause rival firms to think that the demand curve has shifted down and hence induce them to lower their outputs in the future.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by The RAND Corporation in its journal RAND Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 16 (1985)
Issue (Month): 1 (Spring)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.rje.org
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Amparo Urbano & María Dolores Alepuz Domenech, 1991. "Duopoly Experimentation: Cournot And Bertrand Competition," Working Papers. Serie AD 1991-07, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Richards, Timothy J. & Patterson, Paul M., 2006. "Firm-Level Competition in Price and Variety," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 38(03), December.
- Karp, Larry & Perloff, Jeffrey M, 1988. "Dynamic Oligopoly: Estimation and Tests of Market Structure," Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series qt7fk1119n, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
- Jeong-Yoo Kim, 2003. "Entry Deterrence and Entry Inducement in an Industry with Complementary Products," International Economic Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(4), pages 107-123.
- Deodhar, Satish Y. & Sheldon, Ian M., 1996. "Estimation Of Imperfect Competition In Food Marketing: A Dynamic Analysis Of The German Banana Market," Journal of Food Distribution Research, Food Distribution Research Society, vol. 27(3), October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.