Price Discrimination in Free-Entry Markets
AbstractUsing a spatial model of monopolistic competition, we investigate price discrimination in free-entry, zero-profit markets. We show that when brands are heterogeneous, competition does not prevent discrimination. The power to earn economic profits is not necessary for a firm to maintain discriminatory prices. Our model treats formally the fact that consumers differ not only in the utility they derive from a good, but also in how strongly they prefer one brand over all others. In markets where firms are very competitive, sorting consumers on the strength on brand preference produces larger price differentials between groups than sorting on the basis of consumers' reservation prices for the good. When firms sort customers on the basis of strength of brand preference, however, we find that the output and welfare effects are generally less favorable than when sorting is more closely related to consumers' reservation prices.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by The RAND Corporation in its journal RAND Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 16 (1985)
Issue (Month): 3 (Autumn)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.rje.org
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Igal Hendel & Aviv Nevo, 2013. "Intertemporal Price Discrimination in Storable Goods Markets," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 103(7), pages 2722-51, December.
- Aviv Nevo & Catherine Wolfram, 1999. "Prices and Coupons for Breakfast Cereals," NBER Working Papers 6932, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sapi, Geza & Suleymanova, Irina, 2013. "Consumer flexibility, data quality and targeted pricing," DICE Discussion Papers 117, Heinrich‐Heine‐Universität Düsseldorf, Düsseldorf Institute for Competition Economics (DICE).
- Stole, Lars A., 2007. "Price Discrimination and Competition," Handbook of Industrial Organization, Elsevier.
- Jentzsch, Nicola & Sapi, Geza & Suleymanova, Irina, 2012.
"Targeted pricing and customer data sharing among rivals,"
DICE Discussion Papers
60, Heinrich‐Heine‐Universität Düsseldorf, Düsseldorf Institute for Competition Economics (DICE).
- Jentzsch, Nicola & Sapi, Geza & Suleymanova, Irina, 2013. "Targeted pricing and customer data sharing among rivals," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 131-144.
- Nicola Jentzsch & Geza Sapi & Irina Suleymanova, 2010. "Joint Customer Data Acquisition and Sharing among Rivals," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 1045, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Angela Stefania Bergantino & Capozza, Claudia, 2012.
"Airline Pricing Behaviour Under Limited Intermodal Competition,"
1206, SIET Società Italiana di Economia dei Trasporti e della Logistica, revised 2012.
- Bergantino, Angela Stefania & Capozza, Claudia, 2013. "Airline Pricing Behaviour under Limited Intermodal Competition," MPRA Paper 48892, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 27 Nov 2013.
- Marc Möller & Makoto Watanabe, . "Competition in the Presence of Individual Demand Uncertainty," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 13-185/V, Tinbergen Institute.
- Ron Borzekowski & Raphael Thomadsen & Charles Taragin, 2005.
"Competition and price discrimination in the market for mailing lists,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
2005-56, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Ron Borzekowski & Raphael Thomadsen & Charles Taragin, 2009. "Competition and price discrimination in the market for mailing lists," Quantitative Marketing and Economics, Springer, vol. 7(2), pages 147-179, June.
- Asplund, Björn Marcus & Eriksson, Rickard & Strand, Niklas, 2002.
"Price Discrimination in Oligopoly: Evidence from Swedish Newspapers,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3269, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Asplund, Marcus & Eriksson, Rickard & Strand, Niklas, 2001. "Price Discrimination in Oligopoly: Evidence from Swedish Newspapers," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 468, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 01 Jan 2007.
- Claudio Agostini, 2005. "El Mercado de Transporte Aéreo: Lecciones para Chile de una Revisión de la Literatura," ILADES-Georgetown University Working Papers inv163, Ilades-Georgetown University, Universidad Alberto Hurtado/School of Economics and Bussines.
- Marc Möller & Makoto Watanabe, 2013. "Competition in the Presence of Individual Demand Uncertainty," CESifo Working Paper Series 4490, CESifo Group Munich.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.