A Note on "Lemons" Markets with Quality Certification
AbstractIn markets with qualitative uncertainty, pricing on the basis of average quality will be unattractive to participants whose products are above average in quality. This note examines the possibility of quality certification as an alternative to exit from the market in such situations. Examples dealing with labor market uncertainties illustrate the economic properties of the quality certification process, which unravels from the top down. The economic motivations and patterns of this form of price discrimination are similar to those encountered in standard "lemons" models.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by The RAND Corporation in its journal Bell Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 9 (1978)
Issue (Month): 1 (Spring)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.rje.org
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Wayne L. Lee & Anjan V. Thakor & Gautam Vora, 2004.
"Screening, Market Signalling, and Capital Structure Theory,"
- Lee, Wayne L & Thakor, Anjan V & Vora, Gautam, 1983. " Screening, Market Signalling, and Capital Structure Theory," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 38(5), pages 1507-18, December.
- Tong Wang & David A. Hennessy, 2012. "Modeling Interdependent Participation Incentives: Dynamics of a Voluntary Livestock Disease Control Program," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 12-wp527, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Gomez, Emilio Galdeano & Lorente, Jose Cespedes & Rodriguez, Manuel Rodriguez, 2002. "Environmental and Quality Improvement Practices: Their Analysis as Components of the Value Added in Horticultural Firms," 2002 International Congress, August 28-31, 2002, Zaragoza, Spain 24870, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Karsten Mause, 2010. "Considering Market-Based Instruments for Consumer Protection in Higher Education," Journal of Consumer Policy, Springer, vol. 33(1), pages 29-53, March.
- Dziuda, Wioletta, 2011. "Strategic argumentation," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 146(4), pages 1362-1397, July.
- McGuire, Stephen J. & Dilts, David M., 2008. "The financial impact of standard stringency: An event study of successive generations of the ISO 9000 standard," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 113(1), pages 3-22, May.
- Muhtaseb, Majed R. & Philippatos, George C., 1995. "Shareholder wealth effects of common stock offerings," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 175-193.
- Andrew F. Daughety & Jennifer F. Reinganum, 2008.
"Communicating quality: a unified model of disclosure and signalling,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
RAND Corporation, vol. 39(4), pages 973-989.
- Andrew F. Daughety & Jennifer F. Reinganum, 2007. "Communicating Quality: A Unified Model of Disclosure and Signaling," Vanderbilt University Department of Economics Working Papers 0703, Vanderbilt University Department of Economics.
- Andrew F. Daughety & Jennifer F. Reinganum, 2006.
"Products Liability, Signaling and Disclosure,"
Vanderbilt University Department of Economics Working Papers
0625, Vanderbilt University Department of Economics.
- Andrew F. Daughety & Jennifer F. Reinganum, 2008. "Products Liability, Signaling and Disclosure," Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economics (JITE), Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 164(1), pages 106-126, March.
- Rick Harbaugh & John W. Maxwell & Beatrice Roussillon, 2006. "The Groucho Effect of Uncertain Standards," Working Papers 2006-09, Indiana University, Kelley School of Business, Department of Business Economics and Public Policy.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.