Competitive Bidding and the Production of Precontract Information
AbstractThis note is concerned with the effects of contractual complexity on the precontract bidding process. Competitive bidding is seen to be a heterogeneous class of devices for transmitting information between organizations. Even for rather simple contracts (e.g., Demsetz' license plates contract), the purchaser is seldom interested solely in price -- he is interested in acquiring and providing information as well. For complex contracts, such as a fifteen-year cable television franchise, the information problems tend to dominate. The implications of locating the liability for provision of precontract information on providers and on purchasers are considered.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by The RAND Corporation in its journal Bell Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 8 (1977)
Issue (Month): 1 (Spring)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.rje.org
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Radkevitch, U.L. & van Heck, H.W.G.M. & Koppius, O.R., 2008. "Choosing between Auctions and Negotiations in Online B2B Markets for IT Services: The Effect of Prior Relationships and Performance," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2008-004-LIS, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus Uni.
- William P. Rogerson, 1988. "Profit Regulation of Defense Contractors and Prizes for Innovation : Theory and Evidence," Discussion Papers 759, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Mason, Charles F., 2014.
"Uranium and nuclear power: The role of exploration information in framing public policy,"
Resource and Energy Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 49-63.
- Charles F. Mason, 2013. "Uranium and Nuclear Power: The Role of Exploration Information in Framing Public Policy," Working Papers 2013.19, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Charles F Mason, 2013. "Uranium and nuclear Power: The role of exploration information in framing public policy," OxCarre Working Papers 104, Oxford Centre for the Analysis of Resource Rich Economies, University of Oxford.
- Tadelis, Steven, 2012. "Public procurement design: Lessons from the private sector," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 297-302.
- Robert Ekelund & Richard Saba, 1981. "A note on politics and franchise bidding," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 37(2), pages 343-348, January.
- Thomas Lemieux & W. Bentley MacLeod & Daniel Parent, 2012. "Contract Form, Wage Flexibility, and Employment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 102(3), pages 526-31, May.
- Lisa J. Cameron, 2000. "Limiting Buyer Discretion: Effects on Performance and Price in Long-Term Contracts," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 90(1), pages 265-281, March.
- repec:hal:journl:halshs-00103116 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.