The Demand for Electricity: A Survey
AbstractThis paper presents a survey and critique of the econometric literature on the demand for electricity. Most of the focus is on residential demand, but the few studies analyzing commercial and industrial demand are also reviewed. Special attention is given to the singular features of electricity demand, the fact that electricity is purchased according to multipart decreasing block tariffs, the need to distinguish between demand in the short run and demand in the long run, etc. In particular it is noted that proper modeling of decreasing block tariffs requires inclusion of both a marginal and average price as predictors in the demand function. The paper concludes with some suggestions for future research.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by The RAND Corporation in its journal Bell Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 6 (1975)
Issue (Month): 1 (Spring)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.rje.org
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Simona Bigerna & Carlo Andrea BOLLINO, 2012. "Electricity Demand in Wholesale Italian Market," Quaderni del Dipartimento di Economia, Finanza e Statistica 108/2012, Università di Perugia, Dipartimento Economia, Finanza e Statistica.
- Peter C. Reiss & Matthew W. White, 2001. "Household Electricity Demand, Revisited," NBER Working Papers 8687, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert P. Trost & G.S. Maddala & Hongyi Li, 1996. "Estimation des élasticités de court et de long termes de la demande d'électricité sur données de panel à partir d'estimateurs à rétrécisseur," Économie et Prévision, Programme National Persée, vol. 126(5), pages 127-141.
- Bradburd, Ralph, 1992. "Privatization of natural monopoly public enterprises : the regulation issue," Policy Research Working Paper Series 864, The World Bank.
- Carlos Medina & Leonardo Fabio Morales, .
"Demanda por Servicios Públicos Domiciliarios en Colombia y Subsidios: Implicaciones sobre el Bienestar,"
Borradores de Economia
467, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Carlos Medina & Leonardo Fabio Morales, 2007. "Demanda por Servicios Públicos Domiciliarios en Colombia y Subsidios: Implicaciones sobre el Bienestar," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 004293, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Costolanski, Peter & Elahi, Raihan & Iimi, Atsushi & Kitchlu, Rahul, 2013. "Impact evaluation of free-of-charge CFL bulb distribution in Ethiopia," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6383, The World Bank.
- Keppo, Jussi & Rasanen, Mika, 1999. "Pricing of electricity tariffs in competitive markets," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 213-223, June.
- Glenn Jenkins & HENRY LIM & GANGADHAR SHUKLA, 1999. "Evaluation Of An Expansion Of The Electricity Transmission System In Mexico," Development Discussion Papers 1999-05, JDI Executive Programs.
- Catherine D. Wolfram, 1999. "Measuring Duopoly Power in the British Electricity Spot Market," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(4), pages 805-826, September.
- Roger H. Dunstan & Ronald H. Schmidt, 1986. "Structural changes in residential energy demand," Research Paper 8604, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.