Responsive Pricing of Public Utility Services
AbstractUtility prices that are made to respond appropriately to adventitious variations in demand or supply can produce substantial improvement in the efficiency of utilization of utility facilities, raising load factors and lowering average costs. More effective and less disruptive handling of emergency shortages is also facilitated. With telephone service, implementation can be on a virtually instantaneous basis through system monitoring and recorded quotation of currently effective rtes. In situations with a strong element of precommitment to the use of the service, such as airline travel, implementation can be handled through simulating a speculative market in reservations. Motivation for privately owned utilities to maintain service capability at desirable levels can be preserved through establishing fixed retention rates independent of the responsive rates, with revenues in excess of or below the retention rates being paid into or made up out of an escrow fund.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by The RAND Corporation in its journal Bell Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 2 (1971)
Issue (Month): 1 (Spring)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.rje.org
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Lindsey, Robin, 2009. "Cost recovery from congestion tolls with random capacity and demand," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 66(1), pages 16-24, July.
- Courty, Pascal & Pagliero, Mario, 2010.
"Price variation antagonism and firm pricing policies,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 75(2), pages 235-249, August.
- Pascal Courty & Mario Pagliero, 2008. "Price Variation Antagonism and Firm Pricing Policies," Economics Working Papers ECO2008/02, European University Institute.
- Pascal Courty & Mario Pagliero, 2006. "Price Variation Antagonism and Firm Pricing Policies," Economics Working Papers ECO2006/27, European University Institute.
- Courty, Pascal & Pagliero, Mario, 2007. "Price Variation Antagonism and Firm Pricing Policies," CEPR Discussion Papers 6663, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Pascal Courty & Mario Pagliero, 2006.
2006 Meeting Papers
315, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Kaplan, Jonathan D. & Howitt, Richard E. & Kroll, Stephan, 2012. "Private Provision of a Stochastic Common Property Resource," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 124855, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Changqi Wu & Leonard K. Cheng, 1997.
"Hong Kong's Business Regulation in Transition,"
NBER Working Papers
6332, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mirucki, Jean, 1980.
"Comportement de l'entreprise réglementée: étude de l'hypothèse Averch-Johnson
[Behavior of the Regulated Firm: A Study of the Averch-Johnson Hypothesis]," MPRA Paper 27669, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 1982.
- Courty, Pascal & Pagliero, Mario, 2008.
"Does Responsive Pricing Smooth Demand Shocks?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
6662, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Courty, Pascal & Pagliero, Mario, 2003. "Does Responsive Pricing Increase Efficiency? Evidence from Pricing Experiments in an Internet Café," CEPR Discussion Papers 4149, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Pascal Courty & Mario Pagliero, 2008.
"Do Consumers Care about how Prices are Set?,"
International Journal of the Economics of Business,
Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 15(1), pages 27-43.
- Hung-po Chao, 2012. "Competitive electricity markets with consumer subscription service in a smart grid," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 41(1), pages 155-180, February.
- Mirucki, Jean, 1980.
"Vérification des conditions d'efficacité dans la production chez Bell Canada
[Checking the conditions of efficient production in Bell Canada]," MPRA Paper 30147, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Jun 1980.
- Reynolds-Feighan, Aisling J. & Button, Kenneth, 1999. "Report on capacity of airport infrastructure," Open Access publications from University College Dublin urn:hdl:10197/2974, University College Dublin.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.