Peak Load Pricing and Capacity Planning with Demand and Supply Uncertainty
AbstractThe peak load pricing problem has been discussed quite extensively in the literature. Central to the problem is the choice of output capacity and price for a basically nonstorable commodity such as electricity. This article considers both uncertain demand and uncertain capacity simultaneously in a simple model and generalizes earlier analyses, notably in two respects. First, we examine the demand uncertainty in a more general framework within which previous specifications of demand uncertainty can be seen as special cases. Second, we take explicit account of the random availability of the installed capacity. New insights are obtained and discussed in this article.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by The RAND Corporation in its journal Bell Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 14 (1983)
Issue (Month): 1 (Spring)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.rje.org
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Chao, Hung-po, 2011. "Efficient pricing and investment in electricity markets with intermittent resources," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(7), pages 3945-3953, July.
- N. Vijayamohanan Pillai, 2007. "Reliability and Rationing Cost in a Power System," Working Papers id:997, eSocialSciences.
- J. Elnaboulsi, 2001. "Nonlinear Pricing and Capacity Planning for Water and Wastewater Services," Water Resources Management, Springer, vol. 15(1), pages 55-69, February.
- Milstein, Irena & Tishler, Asher, 2012. "The inevitability of capacity underinvestment in competitive electricity markets," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 62-77.
- Milstein, Irena & Tishler, Asher, 2011. "Intermittently renewable energy, optimal capacity mix and prices in a deregulated electricity market," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(7), pages 3922-3927, July.
- Fischer, Ronald & Serra, Pablo, 2003.
"Energy prices in the presence of plant indivisibilities,"
Elsevier, vol. 25(4), pages 303-314, July.
- Ronald Fischer & Pablo Serra, 2001. "Energy prices in the presence of plant indivisibilities," Documentos de Trabajo 108, Centro de Economía Aplicada, Universidad de Chile.
- Keppo, Jussi & Rasanen, Mika, 1999. "Pricing of electricity tariffs in competitive markets," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 213-223, June.
- Yilmaz, Pelin & Hakan Hocaoglu, M. & Konukman, Alp Er S., 2008. "A pre-feasibility case study on integrated resource planning including renewables," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 1223-1232, March.
- Tishler, Asher & Milstein, Irena & Woo, Chi-Keung, 2008. "Capacity commitment and price volatility in a competitive electricity market," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 1625-1647, July.
- Spiecker, Stephan & Vogel, Philip & Weber, Christoph, 2013. "Evaluating interconnector investments in the north European electricity system considering fluctuating wind power penetration," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(C), pages 114-127.
- Stephan Spiecker & Volker Eickholt, 2013. "The Impact Of Carbon Capture And Storage On A Decarbonized German Power Market," EWL Working Papers 1304, University of Duisburg-Essen, Chair for Management Science and Energy Economics, revised Oct 2013.
- Roques, F. & Newbery, D.M. & Nuttall, W.J., 2004. "Generation Adequacy and Investment Incentives in Britain: from the Pool to NETA," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0459, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Thure Traber, 2014. "Capacity Mechanisms on Central European Electricity Markets: Effects on Consumers, Producers and Technologies until 2033," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 1385, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- de Villemeur, Étienne, 2007. "Une tarification saisonnière pour le gaz? Les coûts d'un schéma de régulation rigide pour un bien stockable dont la demande varie," IDEI Working Papers 434, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- N. Vijayaymohanan Pillai, 2002. "Reliability and rationing cost in a power system," Centre for Development Studies, Trivendrum Working Papers 325, Centre for Development Studies, Trivendrum, India.
- Richard Arnott, 1992. "Information and Usage of Congestible Facilities Under Free Access," Discussion Papers 974, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Yang, Liu & Dong, Ciwei & Wan, C.L. Johnny & Ng, Chi To, 2013. "Electricity time-of-use tariff with consumer behavior consideration," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 146(2), pages 402-410.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.