Peak Load Pricing and Capacity Planning with Demand and Supply Uncertainty
AbstractThe peak load pricing problem has been discussed quite extensively in the literature. Central to the problem is the choice of output capacity and price for a basically nonstorable commodity such as electricity. This article considers both uncertain demand and uncertain capacity simultaneously in a simple model and generalizes earlier analyses, notably in two respects. First, we examine the demand uncertainty in a more general framework within which previous specifications of demand uncertainty can be seen as special cases. Second, we take explicit account of the random availability of the installed capacity. New insights are obtained and discussed in this article.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by The RAND Corporation in its journal Bell Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 14 (1983)
Issue (Month): 1 (Spring)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.rje.org
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Stephan Spiecker & Volker Eickholt, 2013. "The Impact Of Carbon Capture And Storage On A Decarbonized German Power Market," EWL Working Papers 1304, University of Duisburg-Essen, Chair for Management Science and Energy Economics, revised Oct 2013.
- Richard Arnott, 1992. "Information and Usage of Congestible Facilities Under Free Access," Discussion Papers 974, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- N. Vijayaymohanan Pillai, 2002. "Reliability and rationing cost in a power system," Centre for Development Studies, Trivendrum Working Papers 325, Centre for Development Studies, Trivendrum, India.
- Yang, Liu & Dong, Ciwei & Wan, C.L. Johnny & Ng, Chi To, 2013. "Electricity time-of-use tariff with consumer behavior consideration," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 146(2), pages 402-410.
- N. Vijayamohanan Pillai, 2007. "Reliability and Rationing Cost in a Power System," Working Papers id:997, eSocialSciences.
- Spiecker, Stephan & Vogel, Philip & Weber, Christoph, 2013. "Evaluating interconnector investments in the north European electricity system considering fluctuating wind power penetration," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(C), pages 114-127.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.