Optimal Regulation of a Multiproduct Monopoly with Unknown Technological Capabilities
AbstractThis article examines the optimal strategy for a regulator who seeks to maximize expected consumers' surplus and who faces some uncertainty about the technological capabilities of the firm being regulated. It is shown that the optimal strategy will generally induce the firm to adopt a cost structure other than the most efficient one and to produce an output vector other than the Ramsey vector of outputs, even though it is within the regulator's power to avoid such inefficient outcomes. The cross subsidies that arise under the optimal regulatory plan are also characterized.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by The RAND Corporation in its journal Bell Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 14 (1983)
Issue (Month): 2 (Autumn)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.rje.org
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Fahad Khalil & Jacques Lawarree, 2000. "CATCHING THE AGENT ON THE WRONG FOOT: ex post choice of monitoring," Discussion Papers in Economics at the University of Washington 0006, Department of Economics at the University of Washington.
- Ingo Vogelsang, 2006.
"Electricity Transmission Pricing and Performance-based Regulation,"
The Energy Journal,
International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 4), pages 97-126.
- Ingo Vogelsang, 2005. "Electricity Transmission Pricing and Performance-Based Regulation," CESifo Working Paper Series 1474, CESifo Group Munich.
- Haldun Evrenk & E. Zenginobuz, 2010.
"Regulation through a revenue contest,"
Journal of Economics,
Springer, vol. 99(3), pages 211-237, April.
- Khalil, Fahad & Lawarree, Jacques, 2001. "Catching the agent on the wrong foot: ex post choice of monitoring," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 82(3), pages 327-347, December.
- Suren Basov, 2006. "Quality Gaps," Department of Economics - Working Papers Series 967, The University of Melbourne.
- Suren Basov, 2005.
"Snobs and Quality Gaps,"
Department of Economics - Working Papers Series
944, The University of Melbourne.
- Jensen, Sissel, 2008. "Two-part tariffs with quality degradation," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 473-489, March.
- Auriol, Emmanuelle, 1998.
"Deregulation and quality,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 169-194, March.
- Covaleski, Mark A. & Dirsmith, Mark W., 1995. "The preservation and use of public resources: Transforming the immoral into the merely factual," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 20(2-3), pages 147-173.
- Spiegel, Yossef, 1997. "The choice of technology and capital structure under rate regulation," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 191-216, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.