The Effects of Competition and Regulation on Hospital Bed Supply and the Reservation Quality of the Hospital
AbstractThis article uses a simple queuing model to examine several factors that affect hospital bed supply decisions and the reservation quality of the hospital. The model takes account of demand uncertainty, the internal organization of the hospital, nonprice competition among hospitals, and hospital regulation. The empirical work indicates that hospital reserve margins vary directly with the extent of interhospital competition and inversely with the intensity of hospital regulation. Estimates of the reservation quality of the hospital are shown to depend critically on assumptions about internal organization of hospitals and the ways in which hospital utilization varies over the year.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by The RAND Corporation in its journal Bell Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 11 (1980)
Issue (Month): 2 (Autumn)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.rje.org
Other versions of this item:
- Y. Joskow, 1979. "The Effects of Competition and Regulation on Hospital Bed Supply and the Reservation Quality of the Hospital," Working papers 244, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Engelstätter, Benjamin & Ward, Michael R., 2013. "Strategic timing of entry: Evidence from video games," ZEW Discussion Papers 13-117, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Reuben Elan & Verma Bharat Bhushan & Bhat Ramesh, . "Hospital Efficiency: An Empirical Analysis of District and Grant-in-Aid Hospitals in Gujarat," IIMA Working Papers WP2001-07-05, Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad, Research and Publication Department.
- Nishida, Mitsukuni & Gil, Ricard, 2014. "Regulation, enforcement, and entry: Evidence from the Spanish local TV industry," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 32(C), pages 11-23.
- Daniel P. Kessler & Mark B. McClellan, 1999. "Is Hospital Competition Socially Wasteful?," NBER Working Papers 7266, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kolstad, Jonathan T. & Kowalski, Amanda E., 2012.
"The impact of health care reform on hospital and preventive care: Evidence from Massachusetts,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 96(11), pages 909-929.
- Jonathan T. Kolstad & Amanda E. Kowalski, 2010. "The Impact of Health Care Reform On Hospital and Preventive Care: Evidence from Massachusetts," NBER Working Papers 16012, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Polsky, Daniel & David, Guy & Yang, Jianing & Kinosian, Bruce & Werner, Rachel M., 2014. "The effect of entry regulation in the health care sector: The case of home health," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 110(C), pages 1-14.
- Daniel Kessler & Mark McClellan, 1999. "Designing Hospital Antitrust Policy to Promote Social Welfare," NBER Working Papers 6897, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Zack Cooper & Stephen Gibbons & Simon Jones & Alistair McGuire, 2010.
"Does hospital competition save lives?: evidence from the English NHS patient choice reforms,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
28584, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Zack Cooper & Stephen Gibbons & Simon Jones & Alistair McGuire, 2011. "Does Hospital Competition Save Lives? Evidence From The English NHS Patient Choice Reforms," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 121(554), pages F228-F260, 08.
- Zack Cooper & Steve Gibbons & Simon Jones & Alistair McGuire, 2010. "Does Hospital Competition Save Lives? Evidence from the English NHS Patient Choice Reforms," SERC Discussion Papers 0041, Spatial Economics Research Centre, LSE.
- Martin Gaynor & Gerard F. Anderson, 1995.
"Uncertain Demand, The Structure of Hospital Costs, and the Cost of EmptyHospital Beds,"
NBER Working Papers
4460, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gaynor, Martin & Anderson, Gerard F., 1995. "Uncertain demand, the structure of hospital costs, and the cost of empty hospital beds," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 291-317, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.