Globalization And Sustainable Development – The Need For Stronger Integration And International Cooperation In The Environmental Area
AbstractThe rapid expansion of economic integration (an important driver of globalization) led to the need of synchronizing national level policies on a variety of issues. One of the areas that require coordination is our fragile surrounding environment. This paper argues that central to this initiative is the need for international cooperation. The study is mainly based on theo-retical and conceptual arguments which explore the multifaceted relationship between globalization and sustainable development (the core objective of the paper). We will firstly demonstrate the ways in which globalization affects the environment, then debate upon the encountered challenges (relying mainly on the need for cooperation) and finally discuss and recommend collective global action as a solution to maximize the opportunities globalization posits to sustainable development. The authors will also rely on practical examples and data to offer consistency to the debate.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Universitatea Spiru Haret in its journal Annals of Spiru Haret University, Economic Series.
Volume (Year): 2 (2011)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: no. 13 Street Ion Ghica, Quarter 3, Bucharest, Cod postal: 030045, tel: (004021) 455.1000; 314.00.75; 314.00.76, fax: (004021) 314.39.08, e-mail: email@example.com
Phone: (004021) 455.1000
Fax: (004021) 314.39.08
Web page: http://anale-economie.spiruharet.ro/en/
More information through EDIRC
globalization; sustainable development; integration; inter-national cooperation; environment;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F18 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade and Environment
- O13 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Agriculture; Natural Resources; Environment; Other Primary Products
- O44 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - Environment and Growth
- Q51 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Environmental Economics - - - Valuation of Environmental Effects
- Q54 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Environmental Economics - - - Climate; Natural Disasters
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Aurelian A BONDREA) or (Constantin Mecu) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Constantin Mecu to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.