International liquidity provision and currency-specific liquidity shortages
AbstractIn this paper we discuss the main innovation in central bank cooperation during the financial crisis of 2008-09, namely the emergency provision of international liquidity through the establishment of bilateral central bank swap facilities, which have evolved to form interconnected swap networks. Based on the BIS international locational banking statistics, we present a measure of currency-specific liquidity shortages for the US dollar, the euro, the yen, the pound sterling and the Swiss franc for a large number of advanced and emerging economies. We discuss the reasons for establishing swap facilities, relate our measure of currency-specific liquidity shortages to the probability of a country receiving a swap line in that currency, and find a significant relationship in the case of the US dollar, the euro, the yen and the Swiss franc. We find that countries with larger US dollar shortages on our measure, and economies that are large international financial centres, have a statistically significantly higher probability of receiving a US dollar swap line. We also find that actual US dollar funding obtained by drawing on the Fed’s swap lines at end-2008 was statistically significantly larger for economies with higher US dollar shortages on our measure, as well as for economies which are large international financial centres.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Capco Institute in its journal Journal of Financial Transformation.
Volume (Year): 34 (2012)
Issue (Month): ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 120 Broadway, 29th Floor New York, NY 10271
Phone: +1 212 284 8600
Web page: http://www.capco.com/
International liquidity; central bank swap lines; FX swaps; lender of last resort;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E58 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Central Banks and Their Policies
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
- G01 - Financial Economics - - General - - - Financial Crises
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Moessner, Richhild & Allen, William A., 2013. "Central bank swap line effectiveness during the euro area sovereign debt crisis," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(C), pages 167-178.
- William A Allen & Richhild Moessner, 2012. "The liquidity consequences of the euro area sovereign debt crisis," BIS Working Papers 390, Bank for International Settlements.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Springett).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.