The time-varying risk of listed private equity
AbstractStructure and stability of private equity market risk are still nearly unknown, since market prices are mostly unobservable for this asset class. This paper aims to fill this gap by analyzing market risks of listed private equity vehicles. We show that aggregate market risk varies strongly over time and is positively correlated with the market return variance. Cross-sections of market risk are highly unstable, whereas ranks of individual vehicles within yearly subsamples change slightly less over time. Individual CAPM betas are predictable only up to two to three years into the future and quickly converge to a stationary distribution when measured in risk classes in an empirical Markov transition matrix. We suspect that market risk of private equity is affected by factors unique to this sector: acquisitions and divestments that constantly rebalance portfolios, scarcity of information about portfolio companies, and rapid changes within portfolio companies. Unstable market risk seems to be a fundamental characteristic of private equity assets, which must be incorporated into valuation and portfolio allocation processes by long-term private equity investors. Large increases in systematic risk in recent years cast doubt on diversification benefits of private equity in times of crisis.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Capco Institute in its journal Journal of Financial Transformation.
Volume (Year): 28 (2010)
Issue (Month): ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 120 Broadway, 29th Floor New York, NY 10271
Phone: +1 212 284 8600
Web page: http://www.capco.com/
Listed private equity; private equity; venture capital; risk;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G11 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Portfolio Choice; Investment Decisions
- G24 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Investment Banking; Venture Capital; Brokerage
- G32 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Financing Policy; Financial Risk and Risk Management; Capital and Ownership Structure; Value of Firms; Goodwill
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Bitsch, Florian, 2012. "Do investors value cash flow stability of listed infrastructure funds?," CEFS Working Paper Series 2012-01, Center for Entrepreneurial and Financial Studies (CEFS), Technische Universität München.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Springett).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.