Towards economic and monetary union: changing trends in payment systems for new European members
AbstractThis paper makes a study of payment systems in the countries of the enlargement of the European Union for the period 1996-2003 and its comparison with the members of the European and Monetary Union. The general tendency is of a movement from cash to alternative instruments of payment. However, electronic means are not used very much and the importance of cash payments continues to be very high. The comparison with the EU15 presents significant differences that will mean an important effort for the new members in reforming and adapting their systems to the actual uses and future payment developments of the EU15. This process will be crucial both for their euro integration and the design and implementation of the single monetary policy.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Capco Institute in its journal Journal of Financial Transformation.
Volume (Year): 20 (2007)
Issue (Month): ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 120 Broadway, 29th Floor New York, NY 10271
Phone: +1 212 284 8600
Web page: http://www.capco.com/
Payment Systems; European Union; Monetary Union; Enlargement.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E50 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - General
- F36 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Financial Aspects of Economic Integration
- G20 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - General
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Francisco J. Callado-Mu�oz & Jana Hromcov� & Natalia Utrero-Gonz�lez, 2012.
"Transformation of payment systems: the case of European Union enlargement,"
Applied Economics Letters,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(18), pages 1787-1791, December.
- Francisco José Callado Muñoz & Jana Hromcová & Natalia Utrero González, 2011. "Transformation of payment systems: The case of European Union enlargement," Working Papers. Serie AD 2011-23, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Springett).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.