Standards and Competition in Post-trade Securities Processing
AbstractStandards — agreed common arrangements governing both communication of messages and business processes — play a central role in the post-trade industry. This paper examines these standards, arguing that they need to be understood not simply as technical mechanisms to lower processing costs and improve cross-border interoperability, but as central determinants of competition. This can lead to inefficiency, as incumbents are likely to resist the adoption of harmonized standards when this threatens their competitive position. The prospects for efficient harmonization of standards in the post-trade industry are not however entirely bleak. Current policy measures being pursued to promote greater pan-European competition are focusing attention on those standards that are most critical for promoting greater competition in post-trade processing
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Capco Institute in its journal Journal of Financial Transformation.
Volume (Year): 20 (2007)
Issue (Month): ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 120 Broadway, 29th Floor New York, NY 10271
Phone: +1 212 284 8600
Web page: http://www.capco.com/
securities clearing and settlement; European single market in financial services; financial regulation; network competition;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G24 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Investment Banking; Venture Capital; Brokerage
- L14 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Transactional Relationships; Contracts and Reputation
You can help add them by filling out this form.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Springett).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.