Identifying nonlinear spatial dependence patterns by using non-parametric tests: Evidence for the European Union
AbstractAccounting for spatial structures in econometric studies is becomingan issue of special interest, given the presence of spatial dependence and spatialheterogeneity problems arising in data. Generally, researchers have been employingparametric tests for detecting spatial dependence structures: Moran’s I and LM testsin spatial regressions are the most popular approaches employed in literature.However,this approach remains misleading in the presence of nonlinear spatial structures,inducing important biases in the estimation of the parameters of the model.In this paper we illustrate that issue by applying three non-parametrical proposalswhen testing for spatial structure in data. Empirical findings for the regions of theEuropean Union show important failures of traditional parametric tests if nonlinearitiescharacterise geo-referenced data. Our results clearly recommend employing newfamilies of tests, beyond parametrical ones, when working in such environments.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Asociación Española de Ciencia Regional in its journal Investigaciones Regionales.
Volume (Year): (2011)
Issue (Month): 21 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: C/ Viladomat, 321 entresuelo - 08029 Barcelona, Teléfono y Fax: + 34 933101112, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, Web: www.aecr.org, Web Investigaciones Regionales: www.investigacionesregionales.org
Phone: +34 93 310 11 12
Fax: +34 93 310 11 12
Web page: http://www.aecr.org/
More information through EDIRC
Nonlinear processes; non-parametric tests; spatial dependence; spatial filters; EU regions;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
- C63 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Computational Techniques
- O32 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Management of Technological Innovation and R&D
- R12 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Size and Spatial Distributions of Regional Economic Activity; Interregional Trade (economic geography)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Liv Osland, 2010. "An Application of Spatial Econometrics in Relation to Hedonic House Price Modelling," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 32(3), pages 289-320.
- Gabriele Tondl & Harald Badinger & Werner Müller, 2003.
"Regional convergence in the European Union (1985-1999). A spatial dynamic panel analysis,"
ERSA conference papers
ersa03p455, European Regional Science Association.
- Harald Badinger & Werner Muller & Gabriele Tondl, 2004. "Regional Convergence in the European Union, 1985- 1999: A Spatial Dynamic Panel Analysis," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(3), pages 241-253.
- Badinger, Harald & Müller, Werner G. & Tondl, Gabriele, 2002. "Regional convergence in the European Union (1985 - 1999) : a spatial dynamic panel analysis," HWWA Discussion Papers 210, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWA).
- Manuel Ruiz & Fernando López & Antonio Páez, 2010. "Testing for spatial association of qualitative data using symbolic dynamics," Journal of Geographical Systems, Springer, vol. 12(3), pages 281-309, September.
- Hoje Kang, 2010. "Detecting agglomeration processes using space–time clustering analyses," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 45(2), pages 291-311, October.
- G�ran Therborn & K.C. Ho, 2009. "Introduction," City, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(1), pages 53-62, March.
- Joris Pinkse & Margaret E. Slade, 2010. "The Future Of Spatial Econometrics," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 50(1), pages 103-117.
- Pinkse, Joris, 1998. "A consistent nonparametric test for serial independence," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 84(2), pages 205-231, June.
- Michele Battisti & Gianfranco Di Vaio, 2008.
"A spatially filtered mixture of β-convergence regressions for EU regions, 1980–2002,"
Springer, vol. 34(1), pages 105-121, February.
- Michele Battisti & Gianfranco Vaio, 2008. "A spatially filtered mixture of β-convergence regressions for EU regions, 1980–2002," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 34(1), pages 203-203, February.
- Lee, Tae-Hwy & White, Halbert & Granger, Clive W. J., 1993.
"Testing for neglected nonlinearity in time series models : A comparison of neural network methods and alternative tests,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 56(3), pages 269-290, April.
- Tom Doan, . "REGRESET: RATS procedure to perform Ramsey RESET test on regression," Statistical Software Components RTS00181, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Tom Doan, . "REGWHITENNTEST: RATS procedure to perform White neural network test on regression," Statistical Software Components RTS00183, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Hinich, Melvin J & Patterson, Douglas M, 1985. "Evidence of Nonlinearity in Daily Stock Returns," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 3(1), pages 69-77, January.
- Matías Mayor & Ana López, 2008. "Spatial shift-share analysis versus spatial filtering: an application to Spanish employment data," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 34(1), pages 123-142, February.
- López, Fernando & Matilla-García, Mariano & Mur, Jesús & Marín, Manuel Ruiz, 2010. "A non-parametric spatial independence test using symbolic entropy," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(2-3), pages 106-115, May.
- Roberto Basile & Alessandro Girardi, 2010. "Specialization and risk sharing in European regions," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 10(5), pages 645-659, September.
- Fernando A. López & Mariano Matilla‐García & Jesús Mur & Manuel Ruiz Marín, 2011. "Four tests of independence in spatiotemporal data," Papers in Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 90(3), pages 663-685, 08.
- P. B. Solibakke, 2005. "Non-linear dependence and conditional heteroscedasticity in stock returns evidence from the norwegian thinly traded equity market," The European Journal of Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(2), pages 111-136.
- Arbia, Giuseppe & Espa, Giuseppe & Giuliani, Diego & Mazzitelli, Andrea, 2010. "Detecting the existence of space-time clustering of firms," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(5), pages 311-323, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Julieta Llungo Ortíz).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.