Wage Curve Evidence From Turkey’s 2007-2009 Income and Living Conditions Survey
AbstractThe aim of this paper is to investigate the labour market conditions of Turkey via disaggregated wage curves following the argument that group specific regional unemployment rates might better describe wage curves than aggregate ones. Using 2007-2009 panel survey of Income and Living Conditions, I found that there is weak evidence in favour of the existence of a wage curve for Turkey. Different categories of unemployment rate give different results on the unemployment elasticity of pay. For male workers, wage curve relationship seems to exist only when male unemployment rates are used and for female workers, there is no evidence in favor of a wage curve. When the data are split into two age groups, and age specific unemployment rates are used, there appears a wage curve for women of age twenty-five to sixty-four and a positive unemployment elasticity of pay for the women of age fifteen to twenty-four. These results might be explained by •Ilkkaracan and Selim (2003)’s argument focusing on the labour force participation dynamics of women in Turkey.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Asociación Española de Ciencia Regional in its journal Investigaciones Regionales.
Volume (Year): (2012)
Issue (Month): 24 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: C/ Viladomat, 321 entresuelo - 08029 Barcelona, Teléfono y Fax: + 34 933101112, E-mail: email@example.com, Web: www.aecr.org, Web Investigaciones Regionales: www.investigacionesregionales.org
Phone: +34 93 310 11 12
Fax: +34 93 310 11 12
Web page: http://www.aecr.org/
More information through EDIRC
Wage curve; group-specific regional unemployment rates;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- J30 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Wages, Compensation, and Labor Costs - - - General
- J60 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, and Vacancies - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gary Solon & Robert Barsky & Jonathan A. Parker, 1992.
"Measuring the Cyclicality of Real Wages: How Important is Composition Bias,"
NBER Working Papers
4202, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Solon, Gary & Barsky, Robert & Parker, Jonathan A, 1994. "Measuring the Cyclicality of Real Wages: How Important Is Composition Bias?," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 109(1), pages 1-25, February.
- Baltagi, Badi H. & Baskaya, Yusuf Soner & Hulagu, Timur, 2012.
"The Turkish wage curve: Evidence from the Household Labor Force Survey,"
Elsevier, vol. 114(1), pages 128-131.
- Baltagi, Badi H. & Baskaya, Yusuf Soner & Hulagu, Timur, 2011. "The Turkish Wage Curve: Evidence from the Household Labor Force Survey," IZA Discussion Papers 5633, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Badi H. Baltagi & Yusuf Soner Baskaya & Timur Hulagu, 2011. "The Turkish Wage Curve: Evidence from the Household Labor Force Survey," Center for Policy Research Working Papers 134, Center for Policy Research, Maxwell School, Syracuse University.
- Baltagi, Badi H. & Blien, Uwe, 1998. "The German wage curve: evidence from the IAB employment sample," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 61(2), pages 135-142, November.
- Rauch, James E., 1991. "Modelling the informal sector formally," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 33-47, January.
- repec:pri:indrel:722 is not listed on IDEAS
- David Card, 1995. "The Wage Curve: A Review," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 33(2), pages 285-299, June.
- Blanchflower, David G & Oswald, Andrew J, 1990.
" The Wage Curve,"
Scandinavian Journal of Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 92(2), pages 215-35.
- Bratsberg, Bernt & Turunen, Jarkko, 1996. "Wage curve evidence from panel data," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 51(3), pages 345-353, June.
- Sanz-de-Galdeano, Anna & Turunen, Jarkko, 2006. "The euro area wage curve," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 92(1), pages 93-98, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Julieta Llungo Ortíz).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.