Economic Integration and Unemployment in Mercosur
AbstractThis paper quantifies the interdependence in labor markets that exists in the Mercosur countries. Two sets of panel data are constructed: one formed by the aggregation of annual time series data from Argentina and Brazil, and another with data from Uruguay and Paraguay. These two sets of data are used to estimate a Var model that includes the following variables: economic growth, real effective exchange rates, and unemployment rates. Another Var is estimated including the change in the wage levels in place of the unemployment rates. The results indicate that strong cross border effects ensue between countries such that national unemployment rates drop in response to shocks of economic growth and devaluation in other member countries. The paper ends with a series of recommendations on the design of regional stabilization policies.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University in its journal Journal of Economic Integration.
Volume (Year): 26 (2011)
Issue (Month): ()
Economic integration; unemployment; policy coordination;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
- F42 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - International Policy Coordination and Transmission
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jong-Eun Lee).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.