Profitability of Technical Analysis in the Singapore Stock Market: before and after the Asian Financial Crisis
AbstractIn the aftermath of the Asian financial crisis, a series of reform and liberalization measures have been implemented in Singapore to upgrade its financial markets. This study investigates whether these measures have led to less profitability for those investors who employ technical rules for trading stocks. Our results show that the three trading rules consistently generate higher annual returns for 1988-1996 than those for 1999-2007. Further, they generally perform better than the buy-and-hold (BH) strategy for 1988-1996 but perform no better than the BH strategy for 1999-2007. These findings suggest that the efficiency of the Singapore stock market has been considerably enhanced by the measures implemented after the crisis.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University in its journal Journal of Economic Integration.
Volume (Year): 24 (2009)
Issue (Month): ()
Asian financial crisis; profitability; technical analysis; moving average; trading range breakout;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D92 - Microeconomics - - Intertemporal Choice and Growth - - - Intertemporal Firm Choice and Growth, Financing, Investment, and Capacity
- G14 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Information and Market Efficiency; Event Studies
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jong-Eun Lee).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.