Financial System Structure and Change - 1986-2005 Evidence from the OECD Countries
AbstractIn this paper, we use sixteen financial indices from the World Bank’s Financial Development and Structure database, to classify the OECD countries, according to their financial system structure, in five relatively homogenous clusters for the 1996-2005 period. We also examine the changes in their financial systems for the 1986-2005 period. Our analysis is based on the ‘agglomerative method’, a form of hierarchical clustering that uses Ward’s methodology, to identify relatively homogenous groups of countries. The findings are surprising, yet reasonable. After two decades of deregulation, liberalization and globalization, the financial systems of the OECD countries not only differ in ways challenging the perceived wisdom that classifies them along the bank-based vs. capital-market-based norms, but additionally do not seem to converge to the second norm as is widely believed. These results warn against oversimplifications regarding financial system structure and the uncritical acceptance of policy recommendations based on them.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University in its journal Journal of Economic Integration.
Volume (Year): 23 (2008)
Issue (Month): ()
financial system structure; bank-based; capital-market-based; convergence; cluster analysis; OECD;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G10 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - General (includes Measurement and Data)
- G20 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - General
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Alessandro Giovannini & Maurizio Iacopetta & Raoul Minetti, 2013.
"Financial markets, Banks, and Growth : disentangling the links,"
Documents de Travail de l'OFCE
2013-23, Observatoire Francais des Conjonctures Economiques (OFCE).
- Maurizio Iacopetta & Alessandro Giovannini & Raoul Minetti, 2013. "Financial Markets Banks and Growth disentangling the links," Sciences Po publications 2013-13, Sciences Po.
- Maurizio Iacopetta & Alessandro Giovannini (Sciences-po Paris) & Raoul Minetti, 2013. "Financial markets banks and growth: disenttangling the links," Sciences Po publications 2013-23, Sciences Po.
- Veysov, Alexander & Stolbov, Mikhail, 2011. "Do financial systems converge? A Comprehensive panel data approach and new evidence from a dataset for 102 countries," MPRA Paper 36103, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jong-Eun Lee).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.