The Greater Arab Free Trade Area(GAFTA): an Estimation of Its Trade Effects
AbstractIn 1997, fourteen Arab countries concluded an agreement, aimed at achieving the Greater Arab Free Trade Area (GAFTA) by 1.1.2007 at the latest. This paper provides a first ex-post appraisal of the GAFTA agreement’s trade effects. Based on new theoretical developments of the gravity equation, we estimate a panel data model which covers trade within the GAFTA area as well as with 35 other reference countries, over the period 1988-2005. Several estimators are presented, especially transformed fixed-effects, Hausman and Taylor as well as a GMM dynamic estimator. As a main finding, the calculation of gross trade creation shows that regional trade has increased by 20% since GAFTA has been implemented.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University in its journal Journal of Economic Integration.
Volume (Year): 23 (2008)
Issue (Month): ()
regional economic integration; GAFTA; gravity equation; panel data;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Céline Carrère & Julien Gourdon & Marcelo Olarreaga, 2012.
"Regional Integration and Natural Resources: Who Benefits? Evidence From Mena,"
CEPII research center, issue 131, pages 23-41.
- Céline Carrère & Julien Gourdon & Marcelo Olarreaga, 2012. "Regional Integration and Natural Resources: who benefits? Evidence from MENA," Working Papers 2012-09, CEPII research center.
- Carrere, Celine & Gourdon, Julien & Olarreaga, Marcelo, 2012. "Regional integration and natural resources : who benefits ? evidence from MENA," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5970, The World Bank.
- Marek Gora & Grzegorz Kula & Magdalena Rokicka & Oleksandr Rohozynsky & Anna Ruzik, 2008.
"Social Security, Labour Market and Restructuring: Current Situation and Expected Outcomes of Reforms,"
ESCIRRU Working Papers
5, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Marek Gora & Grzegorz Kula & Oleksandr Rohozynsky & Magdalena Rokicka & Anna Ruzik, 2009. "Social Security, Labour Market and Restructuring: Current Situation and Expected Outcomes of Reforms," CASE Network Reports 0090, CASE-Center for Social and Economic Research.
- Pierluigi Montalbano & Silvia Nenci, 2012.
"Assessing the Trade Impact of the European Neighborhood Policy on EU-MED Free Trade Area,"
Departmental Working Papers of Economics - University 'Roma Tre'
0147, Department of Economics - University Roma Tre.
- Pierluigi Montalbano & Silvia Nenci, 2012. "Assessing the Trade Impact of the European Neighborhood Policy on EU-MED Free Trade Area," Working Paper Series 3112, Department of Economics, University of Sussex.
- Hoekman, Bernard & Zarrouk, Jamel, 2009. "Changes in cross-border trade costs in the Pan-Arab free trade area, 2001-2008," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5031, The World Bank.
- Lim, Jamus Jerome & Saborowski, Christian, 2010.
"Estimates of trade-related adjustment costs in Syria,"
Journal of Policy Modeling,
Elsevier, vol. 32(6), pages 843-864, November.
- Lim, Jamus Jerome & Saborowski, Christian, 2009. "Estimates of Trade-Related Adjustment Costs in Syria," MPRA Paper 17613, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Lim, Jamus Jerome & Saborowski, Christian, 2010. "Estimates of trade-related adjustment costs in Syria," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5368, The World Bank.
- Sekkat, Khalid, 2012. "Manufactured Exports and FDI in Southern Mediterranean Countries: Evolution, determinants and prospects," CEPS Papers 6849, Centre for European Policy Studies.
- María Dolores Parra Robles & Inmaculada Martínez-Zarzoso & Celestino Suárez Burguet, 2012. "The impact of FTAs on MENA trade," Ibero America Institute for Econ. Research (IAI) Discussion Papers 217, Ibero-America Institute for Economic Research.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jong-Eun Lee).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.