Methods to Aggregate Import Tariffs and their Impacts on Modeling Results
AbstractWhen impacts of WTO market access proposals are analyzed with economic trade models, it is necessary to aggregate tariff data from the detailed tariff line level to the model level. In this article import tariffs and implemented import tariff cuts are aggregated from the HS6-digit tariff line level with the simple and trade weighted average, the Trade Restrictiveness Index (TRI) and the Mercantilist Trade Restrictiveness Index (MTRI) by considering bound and applied tariff rates. The resulting tariffs are substituted for the originally applied import tariffs of the GTAP data base. Multilateral trade liberalization scenarios are then implemented and the welfare effects are compared.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University in its journal Journal of Economic Integration.
Volume (Year): 23 (2008)
Issue (Month): ()
import tariff aggregation; tariff cutting scenarios; bound and applied tariffs; WTO negotiations; CGE modeling; agricultural trade policy;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F13 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade Policy; International Trade Organizations
- F17 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade Forecasting and Simulation
- Q17 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agriculture in International Trade
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jong-Eun Lee).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.