Can Monetary union Enhance Banking Competition?: A Multicase Study
AbstractThe deregulation of financial services in the European Union and the development of information technology have fostered recent changes in the European banking industry. This process, that has affected market competition, has been accelerated by the establishment of the Economic and Monetary Union (EMU). This paper makes a comparative analysis of the market conditions for banking sectors in Spain and France (EMU participation countries) and UK and Denmark (not participating in EMU) in order to assess the effects of the adoption of the Single currency in banking market conditions. This comparison is made distinguishing between commercial banks and non-profit financial institutions.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University in its journal Journal of Economic Integration.
Volume (Year): 22 (2007)
Issue (Month): ()
Banking Competition; Market structure; Economic integration; EMU;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- L10 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - General
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Malgorzata Pawlowska, 2012. "Competition, concentration and foreign capital in the Polish banking sector (prior and during the financial crisis)," National Bank of Poland Working Papers 130, National Bank of Poland, Economic Institute.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jong-Eun Lee).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.