European Economic Integration and the Effectiveness of Employment Policies
AbstractThis paper examines the qualitative impact and the degree of effectiveness of several labor market policies when domestic union’s wage response and economic integration are explicitly taken into account. The employment policies considered include payroll tax cuts, unemployment benefits cuts, aggregate demand expansion and wage subsidies. It is shown that with endogenous wages and an open economy, these policies can in some cases become more potent. But in other instances, they become less effective. In fact, under some conditions derived in this paper, employment policies can even be counterproductive, leading to a drop in domestic employment.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University in its journal Journal of Economic Integration.
Volume (Year): 20 (2005)
Issue (Month): ()
European unemployment; Economic integration; Labor market structure;
Other versions of this item:
- Fung, K. C. & Lin, Chelsea C. & Maechler, Andrea M., 2003. "European Economic Integration and the Effectiveness of Employment Policies," Santa Cruz Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt0tp8k3c5, Department of Economics, UC Santa Cruz.
- Fung, K. C. & Lin, Chelsea C. & Maechler, Andrea M., 2003. "European Economic Integration and the Effectiveness of Employment Policies," Santa Cruz Center for International Economics, Working Paper Series qt0tp8k3c5, Center for International Economics, UC Santa Cruz.
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
- F42 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - International Policy Coordination and Transmission
- L51 - Industrial Organization - - Regulation and Industrial Policy - - - Economics of Regulation
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lindbeck, Assar & Snower, Dennis J., 1989.
"Demand- and Supply-Side Policies and Unemployment: Policy Implications of the Insider-Outsider Approach,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
329, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Lindbeck, Assar & Snower, Dennis J, 1990. " Demand- and Supply-Side Policies and Unemployment: Policy Implications of the Insider-Outsider Approach," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 92(2), pages 279-305.
- Lindbeck, A. & Snower, D.J., 1989. "Demand- And Supply-Side Policies And Unemployment: Policy Implications Of The Insider-Outside Approach," Papers 439, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Horst Siebert, 1997. "Labor Market Rigidities: At the Root of Unemployment in Europe," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 11(3), pages 37-54, Summer.
- Stephen Machin & Alan Manning, 1998.
"The Causes and Consequences of Long-Term Unemployment in Europe,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0400, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Machin, Stephen & Manning, Alan, 1999. "The causes and consequences of longterm unemployment in Europe," Handbook of Labor Economics, in: O. Ashenfelter & D. Card (ed.), Handbook of Labor Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 47, pages 3085-3139 Elsevier.
- Fung, K. C. & Huizinga, Harry, 1999. "Economic Integration and Firm-Union Interaction: The Role of Market Structure," Journal of Economic Integration, Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University, vol. 14, pages 554-571.
- Oswald, A. J., 1995.
"Efficient contracts are on the labour demand curve: Theory and facts,"
Elsevier, vol. 2(1), pages 102-102, March.
- Oswald, Andrew J., 1993. "Efficient contracts are on the labour demand curve : Theory and facts," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 85-113, June.
- Andrew Oswald, 1984. "Efficient Contracts are on the Labour Demand Curve: Theory and Facts," Working Papers 555, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Industrial Relations Section..
- Minford, Patrick, 1983. "Labour Market Equilibrium in an Open Economy," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 35(0), pages 207-44, Supplemen.
- Oswald, Andrew J, 1982. "The Microeconomic Theory of the Trade Union," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 92(367), pages 576-95, September.
- Stephen Nickell, 1997. "Unemployment and Labor Market Rigidities: Europe versus North America," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 11(3), pages 55-74, Summer.
- Robert M. Coen & Bert G. Hickman, 1987. "Keynesian and Classical Unemployment in Four Countries," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 18(1), pages 123-206.
- Stanley Fischer, 1986. "NBER Macroeconomics Annual 1986, Volume 1," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number fisc86-1.
- Fung, K. C., 1989. "Profit-sharing and European unemployment," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 33(9), pages 1787-1798, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jong-Eun Lee).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.