Food Safety and Trade: Winners and Losers in a Non-Harmonized World
AbstractFood safety and the trade-off between precaution and increased agricultural exports are at the forefront of policy debate. Moreover, how international standards are set for food safety, can have a profound effect on export prospects for the least developed countries. This study examines the impact of adopting international food safety standards and harmonization of standards on global food trade patterns. The paper estimates the effect of aflatoxin standards in 15 importing (4 developing) countries on exports from 31 (21 developing ) countries. We estimate that world exports would rise by $38.8 billion if an international standard (Codex) were adopted, compared to the current divergent national standards in place.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University in its journal Journal of Economic Integration.
Volume (Year): 18 (2003)
Issue (Month): ()
Agricultural trade; Sanitang and phytosanitang measures; Food safety; Aflatoxins; Healthrisks; Gravity model; Codex;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
- Q17 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agriculture in International Trade
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Nguyen, Anh Van Thi & Wilson, Norbert L.W., 2009. "Effects of Food Safety Standards on Seafood Exports to US, EU and Japan," 2009 Annual Meeting, January 31-February 3, 2009, Atlanta, Georgia 46758, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Bagai, Shweta & Wilson, John S., 2006. "The data chase : what's out there on trade costs and nontariff barriers ?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3899, The World Bank.
- Schuster, Monica & Maertens, Miet, 2013. "Food Standards, Heterogeneous Firms and Developing Countries’ Export Performance," Working Papers 152084, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centre for Agricultural and Food Economics.
- Wilson, John S. & Otsuki, Tsunehiro, 2004.
"To spray or not to spray: pesticides, banana exports, and food safety,"
Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 131-146, April.
- Wilson, John S. & Tsunehiro Otsuki, 2002. "To spray or not to spray? - pesticides, banana exports, and food safety," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2805, The World Bank.
- Drogue, Sophie & DeMaria, Federica, 2011.
"Pesticides Residues and Trade: the Apple of Discord?,"
2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland
114445, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Drogué, Sophie & DeMaria, Federica, 2012. "Pesticide residues and trade, the apple of discord?," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(6), pages 641-649.
- Sophie Drogue & Federica DeMaria, 2012. "Pesticide residues and trade, the apple of discord?," Working Papers 171676, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, France.
- Otsuki, Tsunehiro & Michida, Etsuyo & Nabeshima, Kaoru & Ueki, Yasushi, 2014. "Estimating the effect of chemical safety standards on firm performance in Malaysia and Vietnam," IDE Discussion Papers 455, Institute of Developing Economies, Japan External Trade Organization(JETRO).
- Schuster, Monica & Maertens, Miet, 2013. "Do private standards create exclusive supply chains? New evidence from the Peruvian asparagus export sector," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 43(C), pages 291-305.
- Li, Xiaoqian & Saghaian, Sayed H., 2012. "How Does Haccp Change U.S. Seafood Exports?-Analysis With Fishes, Mollusca, And Shellfish Other Than Mollusca," 2012 Annual Meeting, February 4-7, 2012, Birmingham, Alabama 119859, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Schuster, Monica & Maertens, Miet, 2013. "Do private standards create exclusive supply chains? New evidence from the Peruvian asparagus export sector," Working Papers 146557, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centre for Agricultural and Food Economics.
- Schuster, Monica & Maertens, Miet, 2012. "Private Food Standards and Firm-Level Trade Effects: A Dynamic Analysis of the Peruvian Asparagus Export Sector," Working Papers 146521, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centre for Agricultural and Food Economics.
- Drogué, S. & DeMaria, F., 2012. "« Comparing apples with pears. How differences in pesticide residues regulations impact trade? »," Working Papers MOISA 201201, UMR MOISA : Marchés, Organisations, Institutions et Stratégies d'Acteurs : CIHEAM-IAMM, CIRAD, INRA, Montpellier SupAgro, IRD - Montpellier, France.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jong-Eun Lee).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.