Determinants of Capital Structure in India (1990-1998): A Dynamic Panel Data Approach
AbstractConventional wisdom on capital structure choices has been by and large confined to the United States and a few advanced countries having institutional similarities. In this paper we make an attempt to provide some insight into the capital structure choice of developing countries through a case study of the Indian corporate sector. We develop a dynamic panel data model that explicitly takes into account the possibility of adjustment cost to reach optimal capital structure. The results suggest that restructuring cost is important in adjustment towards an optimal capital structure. We identify the key determinants of the speed of adjustment towards optimal capital structure and also highlight important differences across cohorts formed on the basis of firm-specific attributes.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University in its journal Journal of Economic Integration.
Volume (Year): 17 (2002)
Issue (Month): ()
Capital Structure; India; Panel Data; Adjustment Cost;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E44 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Financial Markets and the Macroeconomy
- G32 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Financing Policy; Financial Risk and Risk Management; Capital and Ownership Structure; Value of Firms; Goodwill
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Majumdar, Raju, 2013. "A Reinterpretation of the Relation between Market-to-book ratio and Corporate Borrowing," MPRA Paper 52398, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Majumdar, Raju, 2012. "The role of secured debt in resolving agency conflicts and problems of asymmetric information: Indian evidence," MPRA Paper 37925, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Majumdar, Raju, 2012. "The Determinants of Indebtedness in Unlisted Manufacturing Firms in India: A Panel Data Analysis," MPRA Paper 43427, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jong-Eun Lee).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.