Exporting versus Foreign Direct Investment
AbstractIn this paper we investigate how strategic aspects influence the choice between exporting and servicing foreign markets by setting up a plant in the foreign country. We show that tariffs on imports in conjunction with the size of the set up costs incurred while setting up plants and the size of the foreign market will determine whether domestic firms which face competition from a foreign firm will choose to deter foreign direct investment (FDI), prevent exports or may accommodate either form of penetration of a foreign firm in their market. Our analysis reveals that there is no simple relationship between the size of the tariff and the propensity of foreign firms to engage in foreign direct investment. Higher tariffs may result in exports rather than FDI. Furthermore, due to actual competition among domestic firms while facing potential competition in the form of FDI, a rise in tariffs may lead to a decrease in domestic output.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University in its journal Journal of Economic Integration.
Volume (Year): 15 (2000)
Issue (Month): ()
Foreign direct investment; Imperfect competition; Tariff jumping;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F12 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Models of Trade with Imperfect Competition and Scale Economies; Fragmentation
- F21 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - International Investment; Long-Term Capital Movements
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Akinkugbe, Oluyele, 2003. "Flow of Foreign Direct Investment to Hitherto Neglected Developing Countries," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jong-Eun Lee).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.