Technology Transfer, Merger and Joint Venture: A Comparative Welfare Analysis
AbstractWe consider a framework where initially a foreign firm and a few domestic firms are competing in a homogenous product local market. The foreign firm has a lower marginal cost of production relative to the domestic firms. We study then possibility of a bilateral agreement between the foreign firm and a local firm on each of technology transfer, merger and joint venture. Given the optimal behavior of the foreign firm, the paper also examines welfare implica - tions of each such collaborative deal. Depending on cost asymmetry it is always profitable for the foreign firm to go for the one or the other deal. But the local government generally encourages new firm joint venture formation. The degree of cost asymmetry and the number of firms in the market play an impor - tant role in this analysis.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University in its journal Journal of Economic Integration.
Volume (Year): 14 (1999)
Issue (Month): ()
technology transfer; merger; joint venture;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D43 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Oligopoly and Other Forms of Market Imperfection
- F23 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - Multinational Firms; International Business
- L13 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Oligopoly and Other Imperfect Markets
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Tarun Kabiraj & Arijit Mukherjee, 2000. "Cooperation in R&D and production: a three-firm analysis," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 71(3), pages 281-304, October.
- Mukherjee, Arijit & Balasubramanian, N., 2001.
"Technology transfer in a horizontally differentiated product market,"
Research in Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 55(3), pages 257-274, September.
- Mukherjee, Arijit & N. Balasubramanian, 1999. "Technology transfer in a horizontal differentiated product market," Eindhoven Center for Innovation Studies (ECIS) working paper series 99.4, Eindhoven Center for Innovation Studies (ECIS).
- Arijit Mukherjee, 2006. "Cross-border merger and domestic welfare," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 6(16), pages 1-8.
- Mattoo, Aaditya & Olarreaga, Marcelo & Saggi, Kamal, 2001. "Mode of foreign entry, technology transfer, and foreign direct investment policy," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2737, The World Bank.
- Mattoo, Aaditya & Olarreaga, Marcelo & Saggi, Kamal, 2001.
"Mode of Foreign Entry, Technology Transfer, and FDI Policy,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2870, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Mattoo, Aaditya & Olarreaga, Marcelo & Saggi, Kamal, 2004. "Mode of foreign entry, technology transfer, and FDI policy," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 75(1), pages 95-111, October.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:6:y:2006:i:16:p:1-8 is not listed on IDEAS
- Beladi, Hamid & Mukherjee, Arijit, 2012. "Footloose foreign firm and profitable domestic merger," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 83(2), pages 186-194.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jong-Eun Lee).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.