Trade Openness and Economic Growth: Evidence in East Asia and Latin America
AbstractThe past two decades have witnessed economic growth differentials among countries in East Asia and Latin America. In this paper we argue that the degree of openness due to government policies in both areas may be an important factor yielding this result. We construct a simple model to highlight positive association between trade openness and economic growth, and then use a sample of thirt-four countries in the area to test the relationship， after controlling for other common variables of economic growth. As there is no universal harmonious measure of openness, we use an array of five measures, including quantitative price and qualitative measures. The empirical results are Supportive of our conjecture, both in significance and in magnitude.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University in its journal Journal of Economic Integration.
Volume (Year): 14 (1999)
Issue (Month): ()
East Asia; Latin America; trade openness; international Trade; economic growth;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F10 - International Economics - - Trade - - - General
- O10 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - General
- O40 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - General
- O57 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Comparative Studies of Countries
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Salvatici, Luca & Cipollina, Maria, 2006.
"Measuring Protection: Mission Impossible?,"
18876, TRADEAG - Agricultural Trade Agreements.
- Ansgar Belke & Lars Wang, 2006.
"The Degree of Openness to Intra-Regional Trade Towards Value-Added Based Openness Measures,"
Journal of Economics and Statistics (Jahrbuecher fuer Nationaloekonomie und Statistik),
Justus-Liebig University Giessen, Department of Statistics and Economics, vol. 226(2), pages 115-138, March.
- Ansgar Belke & Lars Wang, 2005. "The Degree of Openness to Intra-Regional Trade - Towards Value-Added Based Openness Measures," Diskussionspapiere aus dem Institut fÃ¼r Volkswirtschaftslehre der UniversitÃ¤t Hohenheim 257/2005, Department of Economics, University of Hohenheim, Germany.
- Stefano Chiarlone & Alessia Amighini, 2000. "Any Sequel to the "Miracle"? Growth Potential in East Asia: Evidence from International Trade Flows," KITeS Working Papers 123, KITeS, Centre for Knowledge, Internationalization and Technology Studies, Universita' Bocconi, Milano, Italy, revised Dec 2000.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jong-Eun Lee).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.