Long-Run purchasing Power Parity and Mean Reversion in Real Exchange Rates: A Further Assessment
AbstractThe paper tests purchasing-power-parity as a long-run equilibrium condition, focusing on bilateral exchange rates between the dollar, the mark, and the yen. The sample consists of quarterly data ranging from 1955 to 1990. Differently from most previous work’s, a preliminary data investigation is performed, to seek for eventual deterministic trends which might seriously affect empirical findings from co integration analysis. Furthermore, since unit-root test have typically a low power against interesting stationary alternative, they are supplemented with a different methodology relying upon a variance-ratio approach. Overal1, long-run purchasing-power-parity is not supported by data considering mark/dollar and yen/dollar rates, while an opposite conclusion is drawn for the yen/mark exchange rate. This result appears to be robust to alternative research strategies.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Camera di Commercio di Genova in its journal Economia Internazionale / International Economics.
Volume (Year): 45 (1992)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Via Garibaldi 4, 16124 Genova, Italy
Phone: +39 010 27041
Fax: +39 010 2704222
Web page: http://www.ge.camcom.it/IT/Tool/Modulistica
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Amalia Zumaquero & Rodrigo Urrea, 2002. "Purchasing Power Parity: Error Correction Models and Structural Breaks," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 13(1), pages 5-26, January.
- Mariam Camarero & Cecilio Tamarit, 1996. "Cointegration and the PPP and the UIP hypotheses: An application to the Spanish integration in the EC," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 7(1), pages 61-76, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Angela Procopio).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.