Private Investment, Freedom, Openness, and Economic Growth: Evidence from Recent Cross-Country Data
AbstractUsing a reasonable growth model and a good dataset that covers a fairly wide intercountry cross-section, this study investigates the role of several factors in economic growth, with a particular focus on the impact of private investment and economic freedom. Seven main points are noted. First, as might be expected, aggregate investment has a sizable and highly significant positive effect on growth. Second, there is no indication that increased private investment helps growth; on the contrary, in ali cases, the private-investment parameter is negative. Third, there is little evidence that economic freedom enhances growth, and the freedom-parameter appears fragile. Fourth, the role of openness seems minor. Fifth, the education-parameter has a positive sign in all cases, and is statistically significant in most regressions. Sixth, the parametric structures for the fuil sample and the LDC subsample are broadly similar. Seventh, the pattern of estimates seems robust to the use of different measures of economic freedom and also to several specificational alternatives and some methodological refinements. In particular, White’s (1980) heteroskedasticity-consistent standard errors yield the same broad pattern as the ordinary (OLS) standard errors.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Camera di Commercio di Genova in its journal Economia Internazionale / International Economics.
Volume (Year): 53 (2000)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Via Garibaldi 4, 16124 Genova, Italy
Phone: +39 010 27041
Fax: +39 010 2704222
Web page: http://www.ge.camcom.it/IT/Tool/Modulistica
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F00 - International Economics - - General - - - General
- O40 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - General
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Doucouliagos, Chris & Ulubasoglu, Mehmet Ali, 2006. "Economic freedom and economic growth: Does specification make a difference?," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 60-81, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Angela Procopio).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.