Egypt’s Liquid Assets and their Quarterly Structure: an Econometric Study of a Less Developed Country
AbstractQuarterly studies on LDCs asset demand are rare because of the scantiness of quarterly data especially on their national income. Made possible by the author’s own quarterly estimates of Egypt’s national income and its disaggregates, this paper examines the quarterly structure of its liquid-asset components. Based on the theoretical framework of modem monetary theory, the model used is adapted for the main features of LDCs and the specificities of Egyptian conditions, institutions and experience. In particular, the income variables are specified in a novel way to allow for Egypt’s seasonal phenomena, its urban-rural duality, and the implications of financiali repression characterizing LDCs. And the yield variables are tailored to reflect the country’s undeveloped financial markets, the peculiarities of its institutions, asset portfolios, and interest rate policies. The study produces a matrix of income, yield and adjustment elasticities that may prove helpful to policy-makers.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Camera di Commercio di Genova in its journal Economia Internazionale / International Economics.
Volume (Year): 54 (2001)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Via Garibaldi 4, 16124 Genova, Italy
Phone: +39 010 27041
Fax: +39 010 2704222
Web page: http://www.ge.camcom.it/IT/Tool/Modulistica
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E00 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - General - - - General
- E01 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - General - - - Measurement and Data on National Income and Product Accounts and Wealth; Environmental Accounts
- E40 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - General
You can help add them by filling out this form.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Angela Procopio).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.