An Econometric Analysis of the Military Expenditure and External Debt in Argentina
AbstractThis study analyzes the Argentine Financial Crisis of 2001 through investigating the impact of military expenditure on external debt in Argentina. For this purpose, Granger-causality testing procedure is applied on yearly data between 1971 and 2002. Strong evidence emerged that military burden had no impact on the evolution of debt in Argentina: Results of Granger-causality test show that the null hypotheses of military expenditure does not granger cause external debt is not rejected. Results show no evidence of reverse causality either. This finding invalidates the hypothesis that military burden may be important in determining the evolution of debt in developing countries.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Camera di Commercio di Genova in its journal Economia Internazionale / International Economics.
Volume (Year): 58 (2005)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Via Garibaldi 4, 16124 Genova, Italy
Phone: +39 010 27041
Fax: +39 010 2704222
Web page: http://www.ge.camcom.it/IT/Tool/Modulistica
More information through EDIRC
Military spending; external debt; Argentine financial crisis; Granger-causality;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F40 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - General
- H56 - Public Economics - - National Government Expenditures and Related Policies - - - National Security and War
- O54 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Latin America; Caribbean
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Paresh Kumar Narayan & Russell Smyth, 2007. "The Military Expenditure-External Debt Nexus: New Evidence From A Panel Of Middle Eastern Countries," Monash Economics Working Papers 17-07, Monash University, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Angela Procopio).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.