The Theoretical Debate on the Recent Great Crisis
AbstractThis paper addresses several key issues regarding the recent Great Crisis 2007-2009. The;main ones are: was the financial crisis predictable by standard economic models? If not, are these models lacking of forecasting capabilities, or it is not a task of economic models to predict external events such as a systemic financial crisis? On another note, were economists aware that the financial system had set on an unsustainable path, which could eventually lead to a systemic and worldwide crisis? Furthermore, is there a difference in predicting capabilities among models belonging to different schools of thought, namely between Keynesian and Neoclassical theories? Finally, what are the suggestions in economic theorizing that the crisis calls for, so as to prevent it from happening again?
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by SIE - Societa' Italiana degli Economisti (I) in its journal Rivista Italiana degli Economisti.
Volume (Year): 17 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 (April)
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E44 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Financial Markets and the Macroeconomy
- E52 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Monetary Policy
- G01 - Financial Economics - - General - - - Financial Crises
- G15 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - International Financial Markets
- G28 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Government Policy and Regulation
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Beniamino Moro, 2013. "The Run On Repo and the Liquidity Shortage Problems of the Current Global Financial Crisis: Europe vs. The US," Ekonomi-tek - International Economics Journal, Turkish Economic Association, Turkish Economic Association, vol. 2(1), pages 41-77, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (SIE).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.