Invecchiamento della popolazione, immigrazione, crescita economica
AbstractCurrent and prospective population ageing is likely to reduce substantially Italy's participation rates and per capita income. Although large inflows of foreign labour are expected in the coming decades, they are unlikely to compensate for these negative effects. In this article it is argued that those some inflows might, however, help raising the labour market participation of women and that, in general, higher participation rates could be achieved by postponing the age of retirement. Most importantly, though, capital intensity and productivity levels need to be raised. To this end, a significant increase in the quality of human capital, of both native and foreign prospective labour market participants, seems to be of paramount importance and calls for substantial measures to raise and improve the educational levels attained in Italian schools and universities
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by SIE - Societa' Italiana degli Economisti (I) in its journal Rivista Italiana degli Economisti.
Volume (Year): 13 (2008)
Issue (Month): 2 (August)
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F22 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - International Migration
- J11 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demographic Economics - - - Demographic Trends, Macroeconomic Effects, and Forecasts
- J22 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Time Allocation and Labor Supply
- J61 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, Vacancies, and Immigrant Workers - - - Geographic Labor Mobility; Immigrant Workers
- O4 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity
You can help add them by filling out this form.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (SIE).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.