Capitale sociale e crescita economica: verifica empirica a livello regionale e provinciale
AbstractThis paper investigates the relationship between social capital and economic growth. The three main aims of the paper are: i) to introduce a definition of social capital based on the concept of trustworthiness present in a community; ii) to elaborate a proxy of the concept of social capital considered; iii) to carry out an empirical analysis on the role of social capital in fostering economic growth. The paper is divided into five sections (including introduction and conclusions). The first section surveys the empirical literature about the effects of social capital on economic growth, with particular reference to the different proxies of social capital considered in this literature. The second section introduces a definition of social capital based on the concept of trustworthiness present in a community and briefly analyses, at a theoretical level, the relationship between this notion of social capital and the economic growth. The third section describes the variables and the methodology used to elaborate a social capital index in order to measure the level of trustworthiness present at a regional and provincial level in Italy. The fourth section empirically investigates the relationship between the social capital index and the GDP growth rate per capita in the regions and in the provinces of Italy. The two main findings of the paper are: i) the definition of social capital based on the concept of trustworthiness introduced in this paper has proved to be useful in investigating, in an original way, the impact of interpersonal relations on economic growth and, in particular, it has proved to be an original notion with respect to the definition of social capital proposed by Putnam; ii) an empirical relationship seems to exist between the level of social capital in terms of trustworthiness and economic growth at a regional and provincial level; the empirical results are robust to model specification and endogeneity.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by SIE - Societa' Italiana degli Economisti (I) in its journal Rivista Italiana degli Economisti.
Volume (Year): 11 (2006)
Issue (Month): 3 (December)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Fabio Sabatini, 2005. "The empirics of social capital and economic development. A critical perspective," Development and Comp Systems 0512015, EconWPA.
- Sabatini, Fabio, 2011.
"The relationship between happiness and health: evidence from Italy,"
30948, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Sabatini, F;, 2011. "The relationship between happiness and health: evidence from Italy," Health, Econometrics and Data Group (HEDG) Working Papers 11/07, HEDG, c/o Department of Economics, University of York.
- castagna alina & colantonio emiliano & furia donatella, 2012. "Social Capital And Industrial District Development: The Role Of The Local Government," Annals of Faculty of Economics, University of Oradea, Faculty of Economics, vol. 1(1), pages 284-289, July.
- Sabatini, Fabio, 2011. "Democracy or videocracy? An econometric analysis of the role of television in the Italian political arena," MPRA Paper 31117, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Fabio Sabatini, 2006.
"The Empirics of Social Capital and Economic Development: A Critical Perspective,"
2006.15, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Sabatini Fabio, 2007. "The empirics of social capital and economic development: A critical perspective," wp.comunite 0031, Department of Communication, University of Teramo.
- Fabio Sabatini, 2011.
"Who trusts Berlusconi? An econometric analysis of the role of television in the political arena,"
EERI Research Paper Series
EERI_RP_2011_08, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Sabatini Fabio, 2011. "Who trusts Berlusconi? An econometric analysis of the role of television in the political arena," wp.comunite 0075, Department of Communication, University of Teramo.
- Isabella Santini & Anna de Pascale, . "Social capital and its impact on poverty reduction: measurement issues in longitudinal and cross-country comparisons. Towards a unified framework in the European Union," Working Papers 101/12, Sapienza University of Rome, Metodi e modelli per l'economia, il territorio e la finanza MEMOTEF.
- Sabatini, Fabio, 2010. "Job Instability and Family Planning: Insights from the Italian Puzzle," AICCON Working Papers 70-2010, Associazione Italiana per la Cultura della Cooperazione e del Non Profit.
- Fabio Sabatini, 2005. "The empirics of social capital and economic development: a critical perspective," Development and Comp Systems 0512008, EconWPA.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (SIE).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.