The ECB Monetary Policy and its Taylor-type Reaction Function
AbstractIn this paper we review and estimate Taylor-type reaction functions of the ECB for the first five years of EMU. We find economically plausible specifications indicating that the ECB has attached a large and stabilizing weight to inflation but no significant weight to money growth. This result supports the view that the ECB strives to maintain low inflation, but contradicts the claim made by the ECB that the monetary pillar is of particular importance. In a further step, we analyse the structural stability of the estimated reaction functions. While a recursive analysis indicates some signs of instability in June 2003, which almost coincides with the strategy revision of the ECB announced in May 2003, it is difficult to verify this by means of formal statistical tests. Overall, the estimation and test results indicate that reaction functions with survey indicators as explanatory variables have plausible inflation and output gap weights and show least evidence of instability.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by SIE - Societa' Italiana degli Economisti (I) in its journal Rivista Italiana degli Economisti.
Volume (Year): 11 (2006)
Issue (Month): 1 (April)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Riccardo Cristadoro & Giuseppe Saporito & Fabrizio Venditti, 2013.
"Forecasting inflation and tracking monetary policy in the euro area: does national information help?,"
Empirical Economics, Springer,
Springer, vol. 44(3), pages 1065-1086, June.
- Riccardo Cristadoro & Fabrizio Venditti & Giuseppe Saporito, 2008. "Forecasting inflation and tracking monetary policy in the euro area: does national information help?," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers), Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area 677, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Cristadoro, Riccardo & Venditti, Fabrizio & Saporito, Giuseppe, 2008. "Forecasting inflation and tracking monetary policy in the euro area: does national information help?," Working Paper Series, European Central Bank 0900, European Central Bank.
- Jan-Egbert Sturm & Timo Wollmershäuser, 2008.
"The Stress of Having a Single Monetary Policy in Europe,"
KOF Working papers, KOF Swiss Economic Institute, ETH Zurich
08-190, KOF Swiss Economic Institute, ETH Zurich.
- Jan-Egbert Sturm & Timo Wollmershäuser, 2008. "The Stress of Having a Single Monetary Policy in Europe," CESifo Working Paper Series, CESifo Group Munich 2251, CESifo Group Munich.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (SIE).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.