Aggregate and Regional Economic Effects of New Railway Infrastructure
AbstractEconomists expect positive returns to investments in infrastructure. However a project with higher national returns might have less favorable effects on a regional level than the alternative. Therefore new infrastructure should also be assessed on a regional level, but econom(etr)ic evaluation models are scarce, especially in regional science. This paper pro- poses new approaches to evaluate infrastructure by a dynamic spatial econometric model that allows long-term predictions. We investigate the regional effects for 2 Austrian rail- way projects and show that infrastructure returns are positive on an aggregate and at a regional level, and spatial variation can be large
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis in its journal Review of Economic Analysis.
Volume (Year): 2 (2010)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.rcfea.org/
Regional growth convergence; traffic accessibility; infrastructure evaluation; spatial econometrics;
Other versions of this item:
- Polasek, Wolfgang & Schwarzbauer, Wolfgang & Sellner, Richard, 2009. "Aggregate and Regional Economic Effects of New Railway Infrastructure," Economics Series 242, Institute for Advanced Studies.
- Wolfgang Polasek & Wolfgang Schwarzbauer & Richard Sellner, 2009. "Aggregate and Regional Economic Effects of New Railway Infrastructure," Working Paper Series 09_09, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis, revised Jan 2009.
- C31 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Cross-Sectional Models; Spatial Models; Treatment Effect Models; Quantile Regressions; Social Interaction Models
- H43 - Public Economics - - Publicly Provided Goods - - - Project Evaluation; Social Discount Rate
- H54 - Public Economics - - National Government Expenditures and Related Policies - - - Infrastructures
- R11 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Regional Economic Activity: Growth, Development, Environmental Issues, and Changes
- R12 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Size and Spatial Distributions of Regional Economic Activity; Interregional Trade (economic geography)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lin, Chien-Fu Jeff & Terasvirta, Timo, 1994. "Testing the constancy of regression parameters against continuous structural change," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 211-228, June.
- Antonio Estache, 2010. "A survey of impact evaluations of infrastructure projects, programs and policies," Working Papers ECARES 2010_005, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (J. Fernando Reyes).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.