Factors Affecting Bank Profitability in Pakistan
AbstractThe purpose of this research is to examine the relationship between bank-specific and macro-economic characteristics over bank profitability by using data of top fifteen Pakistani commercial banks over the period 2005-2009. This paper uses the pooled Ordinary Least Square (POLS) method to investigate the impact of assets, loans, equity, deposits, economic growth, inflation and market capitalization on major profitability indicators i.e., return on asset (ROA), return on equity (ROE), return on capital employed (ROCE) and net interest margin (NIM) separately. The empirical results have found strong evidence that both internal and external factors have a strong influence on the profitability. The results of the study are of value to both academics and policy makers.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Department of International Business and Economics from the Academy of Economic Studies Bucharest in its journal Romanian Economic Journal.
Volume (Year): 14 (2011)
Issue (Month): 39 (March)
Financial Institutions; Banks; Profitability; Return on Assets; Correlation; Pooled OLS; Pakistan.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Molyneux, Philip & Thornton, John, 1992. "Determinants of European bank profitability: A note," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(6), pages 1173-1178, December.
- Demirguc, Asli & Huizinga, Harry, 1999.
"Determinants of Commercial Bank Interest Margins and Profitability: Some International Evidence,"
World Bank Economic Review,
World Bank Group, vol. 13(2), pages 379-408, May.
- Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Huizinga, Harry, 1998. "Determinants of commercial bank interest margins and profitability : some international evidence," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1900, The World Bank.
- Panayiotis P. Athanasoglou & Sophocles N. Brissimis & Matthaios D. Delis, 2005.
"Bank-Specific, Industry-Specific and Macroeconomic Determinants of Bank Profitability,"
25, Bank of Greece.
- Athanasoglou, Panayiotis P. & Brissimis, Sophocles N. & Delis, Matthaios D., 2008. "Bank-specific, industry-specific and macroeconomic determinants of bank profitability," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 121-136, April.
- Athanasoglou, Panayiotis & Brissimis, Sophocles & Delis, Matthaios, 2005. "Bank-specific, industry-specific and macroeconomic determinants of bank profitability," MPRA Paper 32026, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Huizinga, Harry, 2000. "Financial structure and bank profitability," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2430, The World Bank.
- Majid Karimzadeh & S. Jawed Akhtar & Behzad Karimzadeh, 2013. "Determinants of Profitability of Banking Sector in India," Transition Studies Review, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 211-219, October.
- Asikhia Olalekan & Sokefun Adeyinka, 2013. "Capital Adequacy And Banks’ Profitability Of Deposit Taking: An Empirical From Nigeria," Far East Journal of Psychology and Business, Far East Research Centre, vol. 13(4), pages 32-41, October.
- Vincent Okoth Ongore & Gemechu Berhanu Kusa, 2013. "Determinants of Financial Performance of Commercial Banks in Kenya," International Journal of Economics and Financial Issues, Econjournals, vol. 3(1), pages 237-252.
- Songül KAKÝLLÝ ACARAVCI & Ahmet Ertugrul ÇALIM, 2013. "Turkish Banking Sector’s Profitability Factors," International Journal of Economics and Financial Issues, Econjournals, vol. 3(1), pages 27-41.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Radu Lupu).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.