Bayesian Linear Estimation of Okun Coefficient for Romania: Sensitivity to Priors Distributions
AbstractI use the Bayesian approach in order to derive an estimation of Okun coefficient for Romania. The data used is at quarterly frequency and it consists in the unemployment rate and GDP between 2000 and 2009. I use three different priors, a normal one, a beta prior and a uniform prior for the parameter associated to the Okun coefficient. The results indicate an Okun coefficient around -0.20, with the prior distributions having a mild effect on posterior mean results.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Department of International Business and Economics from the Academy of Economic Studies Bucharest in its journal Romanian Economic Journal.
Volume (Year): 13 (2010)
Issue (Month): 38 (December)
dynamic linear models; Bayesian techniques; unemployment; Okun coefficient; simulation techniques;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C51 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Construction and Estimation
- E32 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Business Fluctuations; Cycles
- E52 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Monetary Policy
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lee, Jim, 2000. "The Robustness of Okun's Law: Evidence from OECD Countries," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 331-356, April.
- Prachowny, Martin F J, 1993. "Okun's Law: Theoretical Foundations and Revised Estimates," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 75(2), pages 331-36, May.
- Raluca Georgiana Popescu (Robu), 2010. "The Impact of Foreign Direct Investments on Labour Productivity: A review of the Evidence and Implications," Romanian Economic Journal, Department of International Business and Economics from the Academy of Economic Studies Bucharest, vol. 13(36), pages 137-153, June.
- Caraiani, Petre, 2006. "Alternative Methods of Estimating the Okun Coefficient. Applications for Romania," Journal for Economic Forecasting, Institute for Economic Forecasting, vol. 3(4), pages 82-89, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Radu Lupu).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.