The Relationship between IPO Underpricing Phenomenon & the Underwriter’s Reputation
AbstractThe primary focus is on studying the under pricing phenomenon in Indian IPO markets. The paper examines the link between the reputation of underwriters to an IPO issue & the level of under pricing of that issue. The underwriters of high reputation have a pricing behavior which is distinct from underwriters in other markets. The investment banks are compared on the basis of the number of issues managed; deal value, syndicate size etc & the top banks were found to under price less as compared to their lower ranked counterparts. The post listing returns are directly related to the number of times the IPO issue is oversubscribed. The study is based on Indian IPO offerings.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Department of International Business and Economics from the Academy of Economic Studies Bucharest in its journal Romanian Economic Journal.
Volume (Year): 13 (2010)
Issue (Month): 38 (December)
IPO; Post Issue Promoter Holding(PIPH); Offer size; Syndicate size; Underpricing; Underwriters; List price; Issue price; Lead managers; Price band; Age of firm; Investment Bank Prestige; Oversubscription;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- N25 - Economic History - - Financial Markets and Institutions - - - Asia including Middle East
- G24 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Investment Banking; Venture Capital; Brokerage
- C30 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ruud, Judith S., 1993. "Underwriter price support and the IPO underpricing puzzle," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 135-151, October.
- Slovin, Myron B. & Sushka, Marie E. & Hudson, Carl D., 1990. "External monitoring and its effect on seasoned common stock issues," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(4), pages 397-417, March.
- Rock, Kevin, 1986. "Why new issues are underpriced," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(1-2), pages 187-212.
- Neuberger, Brian M. & Hammond, Carl T., 1974. "A Study of Underwriters' Experience With Unseasoned New Issues," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 9(02), pages 165-177, March.
- Stoughton, Neal M. & Zechner, Josef, 1998. "IPO-mechanisms, monitoring and ownership structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(1), pages 45-77, July.
- Tinic, Seha M, 1988. " Anatomy of Initial Public Offerings of Common Stock," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 43(4), pages 789-822, September.
- Randolph P. Beatty & Jay R. Ritter, .
"Investment Banking, Reputation and the Underpricing of Initial Public Offerings,"
Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers
2-85, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Beatty, Randolph P. & Ritter, Jay R., 1986. "Investment banking, reputation, and the underpricing of initial public offerings," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(1-2), pages 213-232.
- Randolph P. Beatty & Jay R. Ritter, . "Investment Banking, Reputation and the Underpricing of Initial Public Offerings," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 02-85, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Yoram Barzel, 2006. "Prevention Is Better than Cure: The Role of IPO Syndicates in Precluding Information Acquisition," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 79(6), pages 2911-2924, November.
- Kirkulak, Berna & Davis, Colin, 2005. "Underwriter reputation and underpricing: Evidence from the Japanese IPO market," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 451-470, September.
- Tim Loughran & Jay Ritter, 2004. "Why Has IPO Underpricing Changed Over Time?," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 33(3), Fall.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Radu Lupu).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.