Addressing Socially Responsible Investments through Alternative Risk Transfer Solutions at International Level
AbstractThe aim of the present paper is to connect sustainability with financial solutions designed to improve development in poor regions or developing countries. First part of the paper presents the concept of socially responsible investments (SRI) and their evolution in the last decades, emphasizing the social, environmental and governance objectives addressed by SRI. In order to find a possible solution for redirecting private financial capital and resources towards sustainability benefits, the second part of the paper introduces the concept of alternative risk transfer (ART) solutions, by presenting their appearance, evolution and classification. Third part of the paper reveals the social and environmental role that ART solutions could play by exposing three very recent representative examples of innovative financial products that have also achieved social and environmental goals in developing countries. Finally, fourth and fifth parts of the paper focus on current state in Romania, potential further research and conclusions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Department of International Business and Economics from the Academy of Economic Studies Bucharest in its journal Romanian Economic Journal.
Volume (Year): 12 (2009)
Issue (Month): 33 ((3))
corporate social responsibility (CSR); socially responsible investments (SRI); alternative risk transfer (ART) solutions; index-based instruments; catastrophe bonds;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- M14 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Business Administration - - - Corporate Culture; Diversity; Social Responsibility
- G1 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets
- G11 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Portfolio Choice; Investment Decisions
- G15 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - International Financial Markets
- G19 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Other
- G22 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Insurance; Insurance Companies; Actuarial Studies
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- IAMANDI Irina-Eugenia & CONSTANTIN Laura-Gabriela & JOLDES Cosmin-Silviu-Raul, 2010. "Corporate Social Responsibility During The Economic Crisis. The Case Of The Romanian Companies," Annals of Faculty of Economics, University of Oradea, Faculty of Economics, vol. 1(2), pages 963-969, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Radu Lupu).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.