Market Structure and the Growth Process
AbstractRecent empirical work has pointed to a positive correlation between product market competition and productivity growth. In this lecture we try to reconcile this evidence with the Schumpterian growth paradigm. Three alternative explanations are successively considered, respectively based upon agency considerations, the tacit nature of knowledge, and the decomposition of R and D activities into research and development. (Copyright: Elsevier)
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics in its journal Review of Economic Dynamics.
Volume (Year): 1 (1998)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Review of Economic Dynamics Academic Press Editorial Office 525 "B" Street, Suite 1900 San Diego, CA 92101
Web page: http://www.EconomicDynamics.org/review.htm
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O4 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity
- D4 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Aghion, Philippe & Dewatripont, Mathias & Rey, Patrick, 1999.
"Competition, Financial Discipline and Growth,"
Open Access publications from University of Toulouse 1 Capitole
http://neeo.univ-tlse1.fr, University of Toulouse 1 Capitole.
- Aghion, Philippe & Dewatripont, Mathias & Rey, Patrick, 1999. "Competition, Financial Discipline and Growth," CEPR Discussion Papers 2128, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Mathias Dewatripont & Philippe Aghion & Patrick Rey, 1999. "Competition, financial discipline and growth," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/9619, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Blundell, Richard & Griffith, Rachel & Van Reenen, John, 1995.
"Dynamic Count Data Models of Technological Innovation,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 105(429), pages 333-44, March.
- Richard Blundell & Rachel Griffith & John Van Reenen, 1994. "Dynamic count data models of technological innovation," IFS Working Papers W94/10, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Aghion, P. & Howitt, P., 1990.
"A Model Of Growth Through Creative Destruction,"
DELTA Working Papers
90-12, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Aghion, P. & Howitt, P., 1989. "A Model Of Growth Through Creative Destruction," UWO Department of Economics Working Papers 8904, University of Western Ontario, Department of Economics.
- Philippe Aghion & Peter Howitt, 1990. "A Model of Growth Through Creative Destruction," NBER Working Papers 3223, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Aghion, P. & Howitt, P., 1989. "A Model Of Growth Through Creative Destruction," Working papers 527, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Nickell, Stephen J, 1996.
"Competition and Corporate Performance,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 104(4), pages 724-46, August.
- Jensen, Michael C. & Meckling, William H., 1976. "Theory of the firm: Managerial behavior, agency costs and ownership structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 305-360, October.
- Ricardo J. Caballero & Adam B. Jaffe, 1993.
"How High are the Giants' Shoulders: An Empirical Assessment of Knowledge Spillovers and Creative Destruction in a Model of Economic Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
4370, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ricardo J. Caballero & Adam B. Jaffe, 1993. "How High are the Giants' Shoulders: An Empirical Assessment of Knowledge Spillovers and Creative Destruction in a Model of Economic Growth," NBER Chapters, in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 1993, Volume 8, pages 15-86 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Segerstrom, Paul S & Anant, T C A & Dinopoulos, Elias, 1990. "A Schumpeterian Model of the Product Life Cycle," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 80(5), pages 1077-91, December.
- Aghion, Philippe & Howitt, Peter, 1996. " Research and Development in the Growth Process," Journal of Economic Growth, Springer, vol. 1(1), pages 49-73, March.
- Philippe Aghion & Peter Howitt, 1997. "Endogenous Growth Theory," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262011662.
- Jose E. Galdon Sanchez & James A. Schmitz, Jr., 1999. "Threats to industry survival and labor productivity: world iron-ore markets in the 1980's," Staff Report 263, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Alberto BUCCI, 2004.
"An inverted-U relationship between product market competition and growth in an extended Romerian model,"
Departmental Working Papers
2004-26, Department of Economics, Management and Quantitative Methods at Università degli Studi di Milano.
- Alberto Bucci, 2005. "An Inverted-U Relationship between Product Market Competition and Growth in an Extended Romerian Model," Rivista di Politica Economica, SIPI Spa, vol. 95(5), pages 177-206, September.
- Bucci, Alberto & Parello, Carmelo Pierpaolo, 2009.
"Horizontal innovation-based growth and product market competition,"
Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 213-221, January.
- Alberto Bucci & Carmelo Parello, 2006. "Horizontal Innovation-Based Growth and Product Market Competition," UNIMI - Research Papers in Economics, Business, and Statistics unimi-1032, Universitá degli Studi di Milano.
- Alberto BUCCI & Fabio FIORILLO & Stefano STAFFOLANI, 2000.
"Can Market Power influence Employment, Wage Inequality and Growth?,"
141, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
- Alberto Bucci & Fabio Fiorillo & Stefano Staffolani, 2003. "Can Market Power Influence Employment, Wage Inequality and Growth?," Metroeconomica, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 54(2-3), pages 129-160, 05.
- Bucci, Alberto & Fiorillo, Fabio & Staffolani, Stefano, 2001. "Can Market Power influence Employment, Wage Inequality and Growth ?," Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) 2000030, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Alberto Bucci, 2003.
"R&D, imperfect competition and growth with human capital accumulation,"
Departmental Working Papers
2003-11, Department of Economics, Management and Quantitative Methods at Università degli Studi di Milano.
- Alberto Bucci, 2003. "R&D, Imperfect Competition and Growth with Human Capital Accumulation," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 50(4), pages 417-439, 09.
- Pier Paolo Patrucco, 2003.
"Institutional Variety, Networking and Knowledge Exchange: Communication and Innovation in the Case of the Brianza Technological District,"
Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 37(2), pages 159-172.
- Patrucco Pier Paolo, 2002. "Institutional variety, networking and knowledge exchange: communication and innovation in the case of the Brianza technological district," Dipartimento di Economia "S. Cognetti de Martiis" LEI & BRICK - Laboratorio di economia dell'innovazione "Franco Momigliano", Bureau of Research in Innovation, Complexity and Knowledge, Collegio Carlo 200205, University of Turin.
- Canton, E.J.F. & Groot, H.L.F. de & Nahuis, R., 1999. "Vested Interests and Resistance to Technology Adoption," Discussion Paper 1999-106, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Philip Kostov & John Lingard, 2004. "Block-diagonal representation of a dualistic agricultural economy and its application in formal modelling: the case of Bulgaria," Computational Economics 0409001, EconWPA.
- Furceri, Davide & Karras, Georgios, 2007. "Country size and business cycle volatility: Scale really matters," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 424-434, December.
- Alberto BUCCI, 2004. "Human capital, product market power and economic growth," Departmental Working Papers 2004-21, Department of Economics, Management and Quantitative Methods at Università degli Studi di Milano.
- Alberto BUCCI, 2002. "Market Power, Human Capital and Growth," Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) 2002012, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Canton, Erik J. F. & de Groot, Henri L. F. & Nahuis, Richard, 2002. "Vested interests, population ageing and technology adoption," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 631-652, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christian Zimmermann).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.