In Search Of Empirical Content – The Austrian Way To Go Beyond Pure Theory
AbstractThe Austrian School has always represented a leading approach in social sciences emphasizing the power of logical deduction and key importance of pure theory. The lack of empirical content, however, often prevented the acknowledgement of correct theoretical and policy conclusions by fellow economists. This paper introduces the concept of analytical narrative and argues that this approach developed by Peter Boettke and his followers from the Virginia branch of the Austrian School can enrich the pure theory by empirical content without compromising the power of the Austria explanation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Romanian-American University in its journal Romanian Economic and Business Review.
Volume (Year): 7 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
empirical research; economic method; analytic narrative; Austrian School;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peter T. Leeson, 2007. "Trading with Bandits," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 50, pages 303-321.
- Robert H. Bates & Avner Greif & Margaret Levi & Jean-Laurent Rosenthal, 1998. "Analytic Narratives," Economics Books, Princeton University Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 6355.
- Coase, R. H., 1990. "The Firm, the Market, and the Law," University of Chicago Press Economics Books, University of Chicago Press, edition 1, number 9780226111018.
- Peter T. Leeson, 2006. "Self-Enforcing Arrangements and Heterogeneous Groups," American Journal of Economics and Sociology, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 65(4), pages 891-907, October.
- Stringham, Edward & Boettke, Peter & Clark, J.R., 2008. "Are regulations the answer for emerging stock markets? Evidence from the Czech Republic and Poland," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 48(3), pages 541-566, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alex Tabusca).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.