Corruption and Taxation in the New European Union Member States
AbstractThis paper analyzes tax capacity and tax effort in new European Union member countries and (potential) candidate member countries. In addition, the paper explores the hypotheses of negative relationships between corruption and tax effort and between corruption and foreign direct investments. However likely these hypotheses are, the paper finds only very weak empirical evidence supporting them.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Romanian-American University in its journal Journal of Information Systems and Operation Management.
Volume (Year): 2 (2008)
Issue (Month): 2 (November)
corruption; tax effort; foreign direct investments; European Union;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- M. Peter van der Hoek, 2003. "Tax Harmonization and Competition in the European Union," Taxation eJournal of Tax Research , ATAX, University of New South Wales.
- Roy W. Bahl, 1971. "A Regression Approach to Tax Effort and Tax Ratio Analysis (Analyse de l'effort et de la pression fiscale par la mÃ©thode de rÃ©gression) (Un estudio del esfuerzo tributario y de la presiÃ³n fis," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 18(3), pages 570-612, November.
- Alan A. Tait & Wilfrid L. M. GrÃ¤tz & Barry J. Eichengreen, 1979. "International Comparisons of Taxation for Selected Developing Countries, 1972-76 (Comparaisons entre les systÃ¨mes fiscaux de certains pays en dÃ©veloppement, 1972-76) (Comparaciones internacional," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 26(1), pages 123-156, March.
- Raja J. Chelliah, 1971. "Trends in Taxation in Developing Countries (Les tendances de la fiscalitÃ© dans les pays en voie de dÃ©veloppement) (Tendencias tributarias en los paÃses en desarrollo)," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 18(2), pages 254-331, July.
- Janet Gale Stotsky & Asegedech WoldeMariam, 1997. "Tax Effort in Sub-Saharan Africa," IMF Working Papers 97/107, International Monetary Fund.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alex Tabusca).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.